Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

Are white Brits generally asked where they're really from? Like, from Anglia, or Saxony, or maybe Normandie?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

I read somewhere that for an American it's perfectly normal to ask where someone is from and have that person answer Germany or whatever just because their great grandfather came from there. Since most have had their ancestors move into the country in relatively recent times that's just how it is and there's nothing racist about it.

Compared to here in Europe where that question is normally just absurd and if not racist at least rude in a lot of cases. Different perspectives and so on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 04:18:07 AMNo, Yi. Black people in the UK can come from the UK. THe vast majority of them do. Including this woman who hass a very clear London accent.

So that's what the indictment consists of?  Unpopular use of the word from?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2022, 04:29:51 AMAre white Brits generally asked where they're really from? Like, from Anglia, or Saxony, or maybe Normandie?
Yes and no. Obviously you don't keep asking like this woman did.

But I think as Britain becomes more diverse - including in the white population - and there's more hyphenated identities, I think it does come up a bit. The key is that it should only come up in a way that both people are comfortable with and around interest in someone's background rather than "where are you really from"/"you don't belong" - which can also apply to white British people who are of Polish or Jewish or Spanish heritage, for example, and can feel similarly othered.

Other white is, after all, the largest minority group after Asian British (9%) at around 6% - and being white and British doesn't mean your heritage or what ethnic heritage you'd identify is Anglo-Saxon or Norman (or even Irish, Welsh and Scots). I think part of it will depend on how those communities identify in the future, my guess is that the future is more hyphenated - but I think part of that is just because we speak English, I think we're 10-20 years behind North America but we're following in their wake (especially the US). I think the future here is more plural, overlapping identities and heritages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteWhere did she demonstrate judgemmentalism?
What nationality are you when the lady specifically just said she was British .
Either deaf or saying black people can't be British.

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 04:15:58 AM]

Who actually thinks this otside of your imagination?
Quitlings.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

General rudeness and boorishness would be top of my list but also the insistence that the woman can't be from Britain despite saying that she is because she is black. I'm not really sure why this is difficult to grasp.

TBH, I think the whole thing is overblown and has got too much attention. If someone weer to question me in that way, I'd think they were rude and weird but I wouldn't be personally offended. I'd just try to move on to someone else.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on December 02, 2022, 05:00:18 AMQuitlings.

You said "we" i.e. the population in general as if it were a charateristic of the British.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on December 02, 2022, 05:00:18 AMWhat nationality are you when the lady specifically just said she was British .
Either deaf or saying black people can't be British. 

It seems emminently plausible to me that white lady thought she was being misunderstood.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 05:00:24 AMGeneral rudeness and boorishness would be top of my list but also the insistence that the woman can't be from Britain despite saying that she is because she is black. I'm not really sure why this is difficult to grasp.

TBH, I think the whole thing is overblown and has got too much attention. If someone weer to question me in that way, I'd think they were rude and weird but I wouldn't be personally offended. I'd just try to move on to someone else.

I think it's a lovely case study to talk around. 

The only way to achieve racial harmony is through the creation of consensus.  I think not talking about it does not help it go away.

celedhring

There are ways of asking people about their heritage without sounding like a racist - that's something I'm often curious about when meeting people that are obviously not cristianos viejos. That lady didn't pass that bar.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 05:00:24 AMGeneral rudeness and boorishness would be top of my list but also the insistence that the woman can't be from Britain despite saying that she is because she is black. I'm not really sure why this is difficult to grasp.

She did also begin(?) the interaction by grabbing at her hair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

That is the strange thing about the story really, the rudeness. The courtier had one job, to make polite and anodyne conversation with the guests. But she completely failed to do so.

I think she had a senior moment and was back in a 1960 mindset where most black people did indeed come from somewhere. Still doesn't explain the boorishness though  :hmm:

To be absolutely clear to non-Brits on the board the interrogation was incredibly rude; I think anyone would be stunned to meet with such gross impoliteness at a palace do.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 05:00:24 AMTBH, I think the whole thing is overblown and has got too much attention. If someone weer to question me in that way, I'd think they were rude and weird but I wouldn't be personally offended. I'd just try to move on to someone else.
Yeah. I'm not sure it deserves to be a three day big story.

But agree with cel on it and I just do not understand the repeated aggressive questioning if she didn't want to make an implication/that person feel unwelcome.

There are ways of asking but conversation's two way and if someone doesn't want to answer a question, you move on. It's not Newsnight.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

100% its being over milked. I guess there's not much else going on.
How about that bi-election?
The Tories were aiming to increase their share and get over 20%....and failed.
Chester is one of those prime 'blue wall' seats that have flipped in recent years I believe?- Blair had it but otherwise Toryland back in the depths of history until very recently.

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2022, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 02, 2022, 05:00:18 AMQuitlings.

You said "we" i.e. the population in general as if it were a charateristic of the British.
And you asked for an example of where you see this kind of attitude.
If you incorrectly read that I think every Brit thinks Britain is number one and has zero interest in immigration, then no, I do not think that. What with it being me it should be quite clear.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The media has already reported on the story being inflated bigger than it is. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.