Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2022, 02:22:59 PM]

I don't really see how standing for pay increases in line with inflation for select unions (like transport) would play all that well with the rest of the country.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 27, 2022, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2022, 02:22:59 PM]

I don't really see how standing for pay increases in line with inflation for select unions (like transport) would play all that well with the rest of the country.

[
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2022, 02:22:59 PMI don't really see how standing for pay increases in line with inflation for select unions (like transport) would play all that well with the rest of the country.
I'd say their stance should be workers in every sector across the country shouldn't be getting a real terms pay cut and that they back workers getting a raise at inflation.

And that they'll support workers who are having to take industrial action because an ideologically motivated government won't even negotiate properly.

Edit: And if part of it is to get a fight with the left he's got that - no deleted but Owen Jones tweeting:
QuoteIf you see Keir Starmer out and about, call him what he is - a conman and a liar - and film it.

Enough of letting our politicians getting away with this grotesque level of dishonesty.

Incidentally we're a fairly safe country so it carries less menace than the US but adding this to my general view that the most Trumpish force in British politics in recent year has been Corbyn and his supporters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Supporting pay raises means you can't bitch about inflation.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2022, 04:03:09 AMBecause rising wages fuel inflation.

And wages that don't keep pace with inflation can lead to reduced consumer demand, putting the screws on economic growth. And that in a country where governments have held a course of austerity for quite a long time IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah after we (as in most of the world) spent over a decade fuelling an insane asset bubble with what practically amounts to money printing (except limited to institutions and not consumers), I am NOT on the side of trying to contain its eventual overboil by asking people to take it on the chin and don't ask for more money. If we are so worried about people overspending, hike interest rates, deflate the bloody bubbles.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2022, 04:06:34 AMAnd wages that don't keep pace with inflation can lead to reduced consumer demand, putting the screws on economic growth. And that in a country where governments have held a course of austerity for quite a long time IIRC.

Which is exactly what hiking interest rates is intended to accomplish.  Depress demand for new homes, business investment, consumer credit.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 04:21:26 AMYeah after we (as in most of the world) spent over a decade fuelling an insane asset bubble with what practically amounts to money printing (except limited to institutions and not consumers), I am NOT on the side of trying to contain its eventual overboil by asking people to take it on the chin and don't ask for more money. If we are so worried about people overspending, hike interest rates, deflate the bloody bubbles.

I understand expecting people to ask for wage increases. I don't know why a political party (and one always accused of being dodgy on finance) would want to take Sheilbh's stance of claiming everyone should get a wage increase to keep up with inflation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2022, 04:33:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 04:21:26 AMYeah after we (as in most of the world) spent over a decade fuelling an insane asset bubble with what practically amounts to money printing (except limited to institutions and not consumers), I am NOT on the side of trying to contain its eventual overboil by asking people to take it on the chin and don't ask for more money. If we are so worried about people overspending, hike interest rates, deflate the bloody bubbles.

I understand expecting people to ask for wage increases. I don't know why a political party (and one always accused of being dodgy on finance) would want to take Sheilbh's stance of claiming everyone should get a wage increase to keep up with inflation.

Same reason why the Leavers were making outrageous financial claims about the benefits of Brexit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 04:21:26 AM(except limited to institutions and not consumers)

I suspect at least one or two people took out mortgages int he last 14 years.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2022, 05:00:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 04:21:26 AM(except limited to institutions and not consumers)

I suspect at least one or two people took out mortgages int he last 14 years.

:rolleyes:

We used to give scraps of food to our dog, yet the reason for making lunch was us and the main beneficiaries of it were us.

But yes, availability of cheap credit fueled the asset bubble on all levels, many benefited and many more did not. And no, I am not going to answer your upcoming brief questions on supporting more data to confirm this isn't the fault of a decade-long failed monetary policy designed to kick the can down the road.

Admiral Yi

Presumably the dog enjoyed the fact that the economy didn't crater after 2008 too.  Or after the PIIGS crisis.

Your "monetary policy is for the rich" is straight out of Occupy Wall Street.