Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

It's starting to get serious.
I've just discovered overseas brits can actually vote.  Which on the surface is good though.... I worry about the  uneducated masses in Australia.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

I'm kind of on the fence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
It's starting to get serious.
I've just discovered overseas brits can actually vote.  Which on the surface is good though.... I worry about the  uneducated masses in Australia.

Huh?  So I can vote? 

MadImmortalMan

I would think including the overseas Brits would help out the "stay in" side.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

I say remain for sure.  But I will not interfere even if in the unlikely event I am entitled to vote.  I am an observer, not participant. 

celedhring

I think Yes, Minister got it right already:

https://vimeo.com/85914510

So good riddance I say  :P

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on February 20, 2016, 09:46:25 AM
I think Yes, Minister got it right already:

https://vimeo.com/85914510

So good riddance I say  :P

Britain leaving would hurt Britain in the first place. London would lose out to Frankfurt as the centre of EU finance, a lot of British businesses (especially the regulated financial ones) would cease to have a privilege to operate on a cross-border basis in the EU countries, and all those British expats and pensioners would now need a special permit to work and live in the EU countries.

Frankly I am a bit perplexed that the British elites have managed to mismanage their plebes like that but if that's what they want, good riddance.

DontSayBanana

Taken on its own, I wasn't too worried about a British exit from the EU, but now that Austria's drawing a line in the sand about border closings, there are some worrying rumblings.
Experience bij!

OttoVonBismarck

The EU shouldn't be left, but I do think the concept of "greater European unity" has been proven both unwise and undesired by most countries. Britain should make sure that it isn't required to get any closer to the EU, and I think all EU countries should have greater control over migrants from outside the EU and how they decide to implement intra-EU migrants into their social welfare systems.

The benefit of open borders within the EU should be one of a robust labor market and eased business transactions, I do not think it desirable that it just serves as a way for poor Eastern Europeans to come to Britain and live off of British social welfare. The agreements in that regard need changed.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 20, 2016, 10:59:02 AM
The benefit of open borders within the EU should be one of a robust labor market and eased business transactions, I do not think it desirable that it just serves as a way for poor Eastern Europeans to come to Britain and live off of British social welfare. The agreements in that regard need changed.

Is that even the case though? Do most (or even a significant amount) of EU immigrants come to Britain to live off benefits?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

The answer to that is barely any EU immigrants come to the UK to live on benefits. It is a relatively expensive country and the out of work benefits are meagre.

Eddie Teach

Free health care is a pretty nice benefit for those who need it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people who work in the UK qualify for a range of benefits as well?

Duque de Bragança

If they actually leave, well, good riddance!