RIP Umberto Eco

Started by Drakken, February 19, 2016, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Caliga

Wow, what a shitty day for the literary world. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PRC

Jaron

One of Hamilcar's favorites
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Squeelus threw a tantrum when I said I didn't like Baudolino.

I did however enjoy The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum.

RIP.

Martinus

I never finished Baudolino.  :blush:

I enjoyed both you mentioned, too.

celedhring

Foucault's Pendulum had a profound impact on me when I read it. He was actually one of my favorite authors. RIP  :cry:

And I loved Baudolino too. His recurrent theme of people creating narratives that become real in the minds of others (and themselves) is one of my personal obsessions.

Duque de Bragança

RIP
Umberto Eco dead and Dan Brown still alive. :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 20, 2016, 06:57:55 AM
RIP
Umberto Eco dead and Dan Brown still alive. :(

God, when you put it like that, something really should be done.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017