News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

First book you ever read.

Started by Razgovory, February 14, 2016, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Do you guys remember the first book you ever read without help as a child?  Obviously it's going to be a baby book.  I remember reading the "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", when I was four and being extremely proud.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

My family also had a copy of that book, but I don't remember the first book I read cover to cover. I was very stubbornly lazy at that age and kept trying to get my mother to read things to me instead of having to read them myself, so I would have considered reading a whole book a failure.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

PDH

Probably "What do People do All Day?"

Richard Scarry was a fucking genius.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

PRC

Zanza

No idea, but I know that The Very Hungry Catarpillar was my favorite book to have read to me by my mom. In German though (Raupe Nimmersatt).

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jaron

Quote from: PDH on February 14, 2016, 09:40:04 PM

His books were never very frightening. Goosebumps was better.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Not really.
A Spot the Dog book maybe?
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

I think it was Winnie the Pooh.

My parents were very good at reading to me, and when I learnt to read myself, I re-read my favourite stories by Lindgren and Milne.

Liep

I can't remember any specific. Probably Peter Pedal (Curious George) or Peter Plys (Winnie the Pooh), possibly a Lindgren or H.C. Andersen story. The first book I had gifted to me was a 3-bind illustrated H.C. Andersen fairy tale collection.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on February 15, 2016, 02:55:41 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 14, 2016, 09:40:04 PM

His books were never very frightening. Goosebumps was better.

You shouldn't have been reading his books by the time you moved on to Goosebumps. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

It was one called "El Menjalletres" (the Letter-Eater). My mother keeps it (she keeps EVERYTHING).

I was a sucker for Enid Blyton books when I moved to non-picture books though.  :blush: