Main Menu

Madoff gets 150 years in prison!

Started by Caliga, June 29, 2009, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 12:29:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 12:14:06 PM
From today's NYT article on the sentencing:

Quotein meting out the maximum sentence, Judge Chin pointed out that no friends, family or other supporters had submitted any letters on Mr. Madoff's behalf, attesting to the strength of his character or good deeds he had done.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/business/30madoff.html?ref=global

What's up with judges having names like body parts? Learned Hand. Judge Chin. Etc.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19690107&id=KI4RAAAAIBAJ&sjid=c-kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4441,2259145
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2009, 12:25:59 PM
I may be a grade A moron but the people who invested heavily in Madoff's shit without checking that he was legit maybe weren't very bright. From what I've read about Madoff (basically thread titles on Languish) it seems the guy was just collecting the Stupid Tax.

No argument here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 12:28:00 PMWell people still committed crimes in Rome or India when the penalties ran to impalement or crucifixion, so deterrence is rarely effective.
I think you're missing the point. The conclusion to be drawn from that is that deterrent isn't effective with everyone. After all, I would guess there would be more people committing crimes if there was no deterrent at all.

KRonn

This is all this guy got, for the financial horrors he put upon people, wiped them out, retirees, companies, as well as charities that got ruined by his schemes? He deserved much worse! Death penalty would have been proper, only mitigated by how much he cooperated to get some of the money back.

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on June 29, 2009, 07:03:42 PM
This is all this guy got, for the financial horrors he put upon people, wiped them out, retirees, companies, as well as charities that got ruined by his schemes? He deserved much worse! Death penalty would have been proper, only mitigated by how much he cooperated to get some of the money back.
The death penalty and life imprisonment are the same.  The only thing is that the death penalty is superior in a moral sense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2009, 07:23:57 PM
The death penalty and life imprisonment are the same.  The only thing is that the death penalty is superior in a moral sense.

Schtick aside, I kinda agree with you here. Life imprisonment and the death penalty both assume that a person is incapable of functioning in society. Nursing along thousands of aberrant failures, as well as stretching the resources available to the normal and those benefiting from rehabilitation, is kind of stupid in that context.

Anyway, the joke I made before my accounting final earlier: at least he didn't get life. :P
Experience bij!

garbon

Seeing as how people practically begged him for financial horrors, no I don't agree.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

:huh: This is America, not China. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2009, 07:23:57 PM
Its cheaper for society is what it is.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2009, 09:13:12 PM

Seeing as how people practically begged him for financial horrors, no I don't agree.
People didn't ask to be financially ruined, charities gone out of business, families losing college money, etc. They just invested, as millions of us do every day.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
:huh: This is America, not China. ^_^
Aw heck, we can go China like once in a while.    ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2009, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 11:38:30 AM
Take his money away, sure, but getting a life sentence for something that does not involve murder or cruel rape is just fucked up.

How is that fucked up?  What he did ruined alot more lives than raping or murdering and far more damaging to society.

We are talking about 65 billion dollars here Mart.  People like him threaten to destroy our entire system, which no raping or murdering could achieve.  We depend on people following the rules.

Cause Marty is actually a white collar criminal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on June 29, 2009, 10:14:26 PM
People didn't ask to be financially ruined, charities gone out of business, families losing college money, etc. They just invested, as millions of us do every day.

Act like a fool and you largely deserve what you get.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2009, 12:03:20 AM
Act like a fool and you largely deserve what you get.

Which only holds true for the initial rounds of investors. By the end of the scheme, Madoff was supposedly pretty trustworthy. It wasn't just the investors that failed to look over his shoulder; no one did.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 30, 2009, 12:05:50 AM
Which only holds true for the initial rounds of investors. By the end of the scheme, Madoff was supposedly pretty trustworthy. It wasn't just the investors that failed to look over his shoulder; no one did.

Everyone is jumping off a bridge, I think I shall too! :swiss: