News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Madoff gets 150 years in prison!

Started by Caliga, June 29, 2009, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 11:38:30 AM
Sorry that I won't join the lynching mob here, but the sentence is extremely unjust.

Take his money away, sure, but getting a life sentence for something that does not involve murder or cruel rape is just fucked up.
But let's face it, you're the last person who should have a say in formulating public policy.

At any rate, fraud on that scale deserves a significant prison sentence, and at his age, any such sentence is effectively a life sentence anyways.

At any rate, he's provided for his family and then fallen on his sword.  His wife will be taken care of for the rest of her life (2.5 million is plenty of money to die on).  I'm sure his children are also well-provided for.  Well done him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 11:51:30 AM
I agree with Marti in this case... the sentence does seem excessive.  OTOH, the intent of the judge I am sure is just to make it difficult for Madoff to ever walk out of prison alive.  Clearly the 150 is supposed to act as some kind of a deterrent.  The problem with this approach is that people who are sociopathic in the way Madoff is think they'll never be caught, so I hardly think anyone is going to be deterred.  In fact, I think deterrent sentencing is probably ineffective in virtually any circumstance.

Well I disagree.

But in any case at his age even a lighter sentence would have had the same effect anyway.

The primary issue to me is that his family does not end up profiting from his crimes and that as much money as possible is recovered.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2009, 11:53:00 AM
The primary issue to me is that his family does not end up profiting from his crimes and that as much money as possible is recovered.
Well, I completely agree on this point and I'm sure everyone else does too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Don't US courts take the age of the accused into account when passing a sentence, too? I mean, here, a guy his age would get maybe 2-3 years in prison on account of his age.

Martinus

That being said, Polish legal system is so slow to act, the guy would have probably waited for 5 years in jail before the sentence was passed. Which I suppose is worse, considering that he could die in jail while still being technically innocent. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 11:56:09 AM
Don't US courts take the age of the accused into account when passing a sentence, too? I mean, here, a guy his age would get maybe 2-3 years in prison on account of his age.

Yes they do.  It is not very common for a seventy year old to get a sentence like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

From today's NYT article on the sentencing:

Quotein meting out the maximum sentence, Judge Chin pointed out that no friends, family or other supporters had submitted any letters on Mr. Madoff's behalf, attesting to the strength of his character or good deeds he had done.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/business/30madoff.html?ref=global

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: KRonn on June 29, 2009, 11:27:31 AM
His wife was left with 2.5 million, which the claim is it was her money. But she was part of the scam, wasn't she? I wonder if she'll also be brought up on charges at some point. If not, or in addition to, I'm thinking she'll be sued.

I wonder how that worked...
give one wife to madoff, get two back?
or isn't it that kind of 'being part' you mean :p

alfred russel

I agree with Marti in this case... the sentence does seem excessive.  OTOH, the intent of the judge I am sure is just to make it difficult for Madoff to ever walk out of prison alive.  Clearly the 150 is supposed to act as some kind of a deterrent.  The problem with this approach is that people who are sociopathic in the way Madoff is think they'll never be caught, so I hardly think anyone is going to be deterred.  In fact, I think deterrent sentencing is probably ineffective in virtually any circumstance.

This case is maybe not the best example, because of what you say.

But a lot of white collar criminal cases of a financial nature involve shades of gray, and can result in very long prison sentences. Coupled with the fact that white collar financial crime has very high conviction rates, I've seen some agonizing over strategies that may look bad in the worst case scenario. "Top bunk" is a common saying when making a tough decision.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Ruth Madoff published a cookbook.  I am sure her cookbook's sales netted her $2.5M. :)

The Brain

I may be a grade A moron but the people who invested heavily in Madoff's shit without checking that he was legit maybe weren't very bright. From what I've read about Madoff (basically thread titles on Languish) it seems the guy was just collecting the Stupid Tax.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2009, 12:25:59 PM
I may be a grade A moron but the people who invested heavily in Madoff's shit without checking that he was legit maybe weren't very bright. From what I've read about Madoff (basically thread titles on Languish) it seems the guy was just collecting the Stupid Tax.

Agreed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Well people still committed crimes in Rome or India when the penalties ran to impalement or crucifixion, so deterrence is rarely effective.  But then, as now, it is good for society to see visible proof that criminals without the necessary political connections will pay for their crimes.
PDH!

Caliga

So the lesson learned is: always be a Kennedy. :)

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 12:14:06 PM
From today's NYT article on the sentencing:

Quotein meting out the maximum sentence, Judge Chin pointed out that no friends, family or other supporters had submitted any letters on Mr. Madoff's behalf, attesting to the strength of his character or good deeds he had done.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/business/30madoff.html?ref=global

What's up with judges having names like body parts? Learned Hand. Judge Chin. Etc.