News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Some jersey name shots.  The middle one is the best I've seen in a while.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Wake Forest beat Tulane 7-3. Okay they won, but I'm not sure Wake Forest should be televised this year because I'm not sure it is legal to televise abortions. The "Good Fortune" names are clearly false advertising. At the least those guys should not be allowed to stand next to each other.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 01, 2016, 09:45:19 PM
Early returns indicate Valmy had a point regarding Tennessee.  :lol:

Never bet on Butch Jones.

Poor Ap State almost had two top 10 opening weekend upsets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2016, 09:22:48 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 01, 2016, 09:45:19 PM
Early returns indicate Valmy had a point regarding Tennessee.  :lol:

Never bet on Butch Jones.

Poor Ap State almost had two top 10 opening weekend upsets.

They are a sun belt team now. wouldn't be as awesome.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

I never got Christian Hackenberg as a good QB. Maybe he has great measurables, but on the field he always looked mediocre at best. Last night in a pre season game he threw 31 passes for an astounding 54 yards.  :lol: Best part is, one pass was intercepted and run back 90 yards for a TD - so including that he threw 31 passes for a net negative 36 yards.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on September 02, 2016, 09:39:54 AM
I never got Christian Hackenberg as a good QB. Maybe he has great measurables, but on the field he always looked mediocre at best. Last night in a pre season game he threw 31 passes for an astounding 54 yards.  :lol: Best part is, one pass was intercepted and run back 90 yards for a TD - so including that he threw 31 passes for a net negative 36 yards.

:lol:  I heard the stats last night after the Bengals game.  I mean, I knew he wasn't that good, but I didn't know he was that *bad*.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

So Penn State, not content to leave well enough alone, is going to honor Joe Paterno at the game tomorrow. I guess they were worried Baylor was becoming more hated than they were.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 02, 2016, 09:39:54 AM

He was decent (more than decent, given that he was a freshman) under O'Brian, who knew how to coach.  Trying to run the team under Franklin broke Hackenberg.  The Jets certainly don't have the coaching to fix him.  Maybe nobody does.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I liked Brian Cook's story on how this year in Michigan football feels to him; it's kinda like every year feels for every fan, bar some specifics:

Quote... Every opportunity to win or lose is here and gone. Ask any Indiana fan about last year. Kyle Robbins of The Crimson Quarry probably did not think that college football could break him—what's the worst thing that can happen to an IU fan?—but it did.  There is no more NOW sport than college football, in which redemption is impossible. Once each year is locked in amber we amputate most of the people who actually played. Jerome Jackson had an entire career one Saturday against Iowa.

I know. I know you want to be like this thing and that thing and obviously it will collapse in on itself and we will hold ourselves aloof and wait to invest ourselves, or at least try to. Don't. Then is over. That is over. The period where Michigan is digging out from the crypt it built itself has passed. We're at now, now.

Here is the situation. Michigan has a metric ton of NFL talent. They have one of the greatest football coaches of his generation. They have a mortal enemy at a historical peak, coached by one of the greatest football coaches of his generation. They will either set fire to the world and rewrite the landscape of college football, or blow a golden opportunity and let the jackals feast again. This is the last rodeo for Butt and Lewis and Wormley and etc., etc. They are set for amputation. Talk about Michigan being a "year away" is only issued by people who haven't looked at a roster or, like, history.

You have to let it happen to your body. I'm an engineer, man. I believe those bastard numbers that say there is a 36% chance Michigan wins 11+ games this year. I mean, 36% isn't the chance but it's not 80% like we want it to be. There's going to be a moment. Possibly six moments. It is going to be towering and terrifying thing and all I can tell you is to say yes, this is happening.

Now. No dress rehearsal. No "they're a year away." Now. This year is the year, and yeah, to some extent every year is the year. But this year is the year. Death and graduation are coming anyway, might as well get some glory in the interim.

http://mgoblog.com/content/story-2016-no-dress-rehearsal

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Nice win by West Virginia there Spicey. Did you see it? Thoughts?

Savonarola

Already shaping up to be another great season for the purple:

Northwestern: 21
Western Michigan University:  22

Fight Broncos Fight!

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

I enjoyed the shit stomping of Bowling Green today at Ohio Stadium. The weather was pleasant, the college chicks were out in force and it felt good to be out at a game.  :)

Other than watching Barett throw a pick six in the 1st quarter.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

UTSA looks.....not good.  Their QB, Sturm, is doing fine at least, in spite of the rest of the team.  10 of 11 for 80something yards and a TD. 

Oh hey he just took off for a 50 or 60 yard TD run.  Hard to tell how far from the back porch.  Heh.  Took them a while to get the lead back from a 1AA team.

E: Alright, now they're playing better on D.  Maybe they were just a little flat.  The TD run and 2pt conversion seems to have gotten them fired up.

alfred russel

My favorite game of the day (so far): the Richmond Spiders beat Virginia by 17. Outgained them 524-302. Came within 14 seconds of doubling them up in time of possession. In short: Richmond went into Charlottesville and kicked their ass. The best part? This was Bronco Mendenhall's debut as head coach of Virginia.