News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 02, 2016, 04:42:23 PM
I miss when you guys elected real and honest people like Kennedys and Roosevelts and not these corrupt Clintons and Sanderseseses.

:lol:

Well done.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2016, 04:01:36 PM
How has Trump leveraged family connections?

Inheriting and "borrowing" millions from your father and using that money to "buy" whatever politicians necessary to build his business empire. It's basically the other half of the symbiotic relationship that's considered the problem. In one instance, a person has political family connections and they help their career; in another the person has family money and uses it to buy political connections to help their career.

QuoteIMO there is something slightly more creepy about deciding who you will marry (and not divorce) based on calculations about possible future benefits to your ambitions than there is to being born the son or daughter of a big shot.

Ah, okay! I hadn't realized that this was the crux of it, but that makes sense. So the idea here is that the only (or primary) reason Hillary didn't divorce Bill after the whole Lewinsky debacle was to fuel her personal political ambition? And that their marriage was primarily about their ambition, even before that?

Is there a reasonable body of evidence to imply that that is the case? Personally, I find it very fraught to judge that sort of thing.

Admiral Yi

Like a signed affadavit?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2016, 05:12:13 PM
Like a signed affadavit?

There's a signed affidavit? What does it say and how did it come about?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2016, 05:13:20 PM

Not that I know of.

The Brain

I hope Hitlary becomes president. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I predict that whoever becomes president, it will not benefit me in any significant way.

But, if it's Trump, I might get nuked.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2016, 04:47:08 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 02, 2016, 04:42:23 PM
I miss when you guys elected real and honest people like Kennedys and Roosevelts and not these corrupt Clintons and Sanderseseses.

:lol:

Well done.

Might have been more poignant if I dropped the last bit with Sanders. You made a phenomenal joke in another thread, so I thought I'd try and reciprocate.

Norgy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 05:23:56 PM
I predict that whoever becomes president, it will not benefit me in any significant way.

But, if it's Trump, I might get nuked.  :lol:

Cruz or Trump, I am building a bomb shelter or moving to Tahiti with PeeDee either way. They scare the beejebus out of me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2016, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2016, 05:13:20 PM

Not that I know of.

Oh I think I see what you're getting at.

I was wondering if there was any reason to suspect Hillary stayed with Bill for purely mercenary reasons beyond the very basics of the situation - that he had sex with other women, and that he was president at the time?

She clearly stayed with him after the Lewinsky affair - is there anything that suggests that she did so for coldly calculated self-serving reasons rather than, say, "for the children", or because they worked through their problems and she forgave him because she loves him, or because she genuinely didn't care that he slept around but had to pretend she did, or some other reason?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2016, 07:05:41 PM
Oh I think I see what you're getting at.

I was wondering if there was any reason to suspect Hillary stayed with Bill for purely mercenary reasons beyond the very basics of the situation - that he had sex with other women, and that he was president at the time?

She clearly stayed with him after the Lewinsky affair - is there anything that suggests that she did so for coldly calculated self-serving reasons rather than, say, "for the children", or because they worked through their problems and she forgave him because she loves him, or because she genuinely didn't care that he slept around but had to pretend she did, or some other reason?

Is there anything that suggests she did it for the children, etc., etc?

She "stood by her man" at a time when the bimbo irruptions were threatening to scupper his campaign.  He clearly benefited.  Later she ran for office and clearly benefited from association with Bill as well as his active campaigning.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2016, 07:28:37 PM
Is there anything that suggests she did it for the children, etc., etc?

She "stood by her man" at a time when the bimbo irruptions were threatening to scupper his campaign.  He clearly benefited.  Later she ran for office and clearly benefited from association with Bill as well as his active campaigning.

Sure. I'm not making an argument here, I'm just trying to understand what facts are being used to reach the conclusion.

Bottom line: it sounds to me the evidence we have for Hillary's motivation for staying in her marriage is that she didn't divorce him. We have no insight into what her actual motivations were, only conjecture.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2016, 07:50:13 PM
Sure. I'm not making an argument here, I'm just trying to understand what facts are being used to reach the conclusion.

Bottom line: it sounds to me the evidence we have for Hillary's motivation for staying in her marriage is that she didn't divorce him. We have no insight into what her actual motivations were, only conjecture.

We have more than that.  We have a quid and we have a quo.  We're only debating the pro.

I have a hunch you would be less concerned about distinguishing between "insight" and "conjecture" if we were having a similar discussion in a different context, such as, for example, why people are voting for Donald Trump or why Wubya invaded Iraq.

MadImmortalMan

I think speculating about their reasons for not divorcing is rather distasteful. In a none of my business sort of way.

Sure, it might be a mercenary deal with the devil. But still. None of my business.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers