News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Admiral Yi

There's also the fact that she leveraged her position as first lady of Arkansas into a partnership in a locally important law firm.

I'll probably end up voting for her too, but all the parlaying she did of her marriage is the least appealing part of her to me.

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2016, 05:16:50 PM
There's also the fact that she leveraged her position as first lady of Arkansas into a partnership in a locally important law firm.

I'll probably end up voting for her too, but all the parlaying she did of her marriage is the least appealing part of her to me.
H. Clinton was also given a seat on Walmart's Board of Directors for 6 years as First Lady of Arkansas until 1992.  Good deal. ;)

dps

Take that part away, and all you're left with is a money-grubbing shyster.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2016, 05:06:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2016, 05:01:44 PM
I think that's mostly built on the belief that it was a marriage of opportunity for her and she didn't care about Bill's fidelity. Well, the cold part. Evil is automatic for anyone with a (D) attached to their name.

Don't forget the things she said about Bill's accusers.

I don't know what she said about Bill's accusers... what did she say?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

This is not intended as a defense of Hillary, but it was my impression that relatives of important politicians in the US tend to sit on boards and do well in various areas of business related to politics. F. ex. I would expect that plenty of Bushes sit on boards and have had opportunities to join companies that benefit from political contacts for example. I guess it's less common for it to be the wife rather than the sons, daughters, and siblings though.

... or is this perception off?

QuoteI'll probably end up voting for her too, but all the parlaying she did of her marriage is the least appealing part of her to me.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes... very curious to see what strategy Trump takes after he gets the nomination and to what degree he tacks to the centre (and how does so). I see some of you guys here on languish as a bit of a bellwether of the American political climate - IMO Trump will have to win back voters like you that he's alienated during the primaries to win - so I'll be very interested in following your view and if/ how it evolves during the campaign.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2016, 05:57:45 PM
Oh, never mind then.

That doesn't sound particularly egregious to me :)

LaCroix

:hmm:

she's a yale law school grad, worked at rose law firm as an associate, and eventually became partner. though, wasn't able to find how long she was associate. also, the firm has 32 attorneys -- it's not very big, and it doesn't seem to be an elite boutique firm, either. this doesn't seem like "leveraged her position as first lady of Arkansas into a partnership." while I'm sure her family's connections helped, what else is a professional woman interested in her own career to do? take a mediocre job and haul ass for a decade out of principle?

Malthus

Yeah, it is absolutely par for the course (so to speak) for a law firm to take someone's significant connections into account, because connections are how law firms get clients, and getting clients is how firms make money. Not really remarkable - that's just the way of the world.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

LaCroix

not to mention hillary's ambitious were absolutely shot down in the early years. yale law grad who ended up at some middling arkansas firm? good god. it's not even the best firm in the state

The Minsky Moment

Webster Hubbell was partner at Rose.  So not the highest of bars.  Pretty confident she could have made that on her own had that been her life's amibition

Edit: yeah what LC said.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2016, 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 01, 2016, 04:51:24 PM
Bill Clinton was elected in 1992.  Impeachment of Bill Clinton was 1998 (note that the impeachment came out of the investigation of Whitewater).  What were they talking about between 1992 and 1998?

Gays in the military, ObamaHillaryCare, Bill's love life(starting with Jennifer Flowers in campaign), OJ, Rodney King, the Chicago Bulls, Boris Yeltsin...

C'mon, now.  Let's not be coy.  Clinton murdering people!  Clinton stealing!  Hillary Clinton is a practicing witch!  Clinton was a drug kingpin!  Clinton secret police!  Clinton plot launch a Marxist coup!  Sending Money to the Contras.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2016, 05:06:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2016, 05:01:44 PM
I think that's mostly built on the belief that it was a marriage of opportunity for her and she didn't care about Bill's fidelity. Well, the cold part. Evil is automatic for anyone with a (D) attached to their name.

Don't forget the things she said about Bill's accusers.

Yeah, I think she might have mention that the people who said her husband sent black helicopters after there were "crazy".  How hurtful. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: LaCroix on March 01, 2016, 06:32:57 PM
not to mention hillary's ambitious were absolutely shot down in the early years. yale law grad who ended up at some middling arkansas firm? good god. it's not even the best firm in the state

That was the sacrifice she made to marry Bill Clinton, leave the East Coast, and follow him to Arkansas.  Hillary Rodham would have been quite successful on her own, but not world domination successful.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 01, 2016, 06:09:13 PM
This is not intended as a defense of Hillary, but it was my impression that relatives of important politicians in the US tend to sit on boards and do well in various areas of business related to politics. F. ex. I would expect that plenty of Bushes sit on boards and have had opportunities to join companies that benefit from political contacts for example. I guess it's less common for it to be the wife rather than the sons, daughters, and siblings though.

... or is this perception off?

I think this is valid.  Then what?  I don't think anyone is claiming Hillary is the first person in American history to leverage family political connections.