News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
Well I think both are true. After all, why should one's opinion on something not change over the course of years?

You're arguing in the alternative.  "Hillary did nothing wrong, and if she did, Obama did the same thing!"

I'm arguing that the real world is complex and that successful politicians do both. I also wouldn't call any of it 'wrong.'
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on February 28, 2016, 03:35:36 PM
If gays really cared about civil rights, they'd defer their own plight for about 20-30 more years until we can get race relations in America figured out.

I never pegged you for an optimist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

mormons are pretty optimistic tbh

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2016, 04:09:04 PM
I'm arguing that the real world is complex and that successful politicians do both. I also wouldn't call any of it 'wrong.'

This is a better position than the one you took earlier, that all people should change their mind.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 28, 2016, 03:46:55 PM
I wasn't analyzing hillary's speaking voice. wasn't making a comparison, just threw out an anecdote

the girl in the anecdote didn't have a shrill voice. she was aggressive, yet it was called "shrill." in my experience helping underclassmen with their public speaking and hearing other feedback, every time a guy has an aggressive-style approach, it's praised. when girls do it, it's criticized. I started picking up on this after reading a comment about how women are expected to be meek, while men are expected to be louder. it's just one example of many re: how women get the short straw in professional careers.

Were you serious when you said criticism of Hillary's flipping on trade is rooted in sexism?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:12:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2016, 04:09:04 PM

This is a better position than the one you took earlier, that all people should change their mind.

I said changing one's positions here and there which sounds a little less monolithic, I would think.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 28, 2016, 03:46:55 PM
I wasn't analyzing hillary's speaking voice. wasn't making a comparison, just threw out an anecdote

the girl in the anecdote didn't have a shrill voice. she was aggressive, yet it was called "shrill." in my experience helping underclassmen with their public speaking and hearing other feedback, every time a guy has an aggressive-style approach, it's praised. when girls do it, it's criticized. I started picking up on this after reading a comment about how women are expected to be meek, while men are expected to be louder. it's just one example of many re: how women get the short straw in professional careers.

Were you serious when you said criticism of Hillary's flipping on trade is rooted in sexism?

Yeah, I've no idea where he was going with that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2016, 04:14:41 PM
I said changing one's positions here and there which sounds a little less monolithic, I would think.

Yes.  Your current, "evolved" position is a much better one IMO.

Will be interesting to see if Hillary tries to walk this one back come the general.

If and when she does, it will be interesting to see how you defend her.  :P

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:13:02 PMWere you serious when you said criticism of Hillary's flipping on trade is rooted in sexism?

totality of the circumstances. some people seem to really, really dislike hillary. I think some of this dislike wouldn't exist if everything stayed the same except she were male

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 28, 2016, 04:18:47 PM
totality of the circumstances. some people seem to really, really dislike hillary. I think some of this dislike wouldn't exist if everything stayed the same except she were male

What does "totality of the circumstances" mean in English?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:20:25 PMWhat does "totality of the circumstances" mean in English?

everything I've seen put together

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 28, 2016, 04:28:59 PM
everything I've seen put together

Do you mean that either Celery or myself, or both, think Hillary flipped on trade because she is a woman?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:39:37 PMDo you mean that either Celery or myself, or both, think Hillary flipped on trade because she is a woman?

no

Admiral Yi

Do you mean you know one or two guys in North Dakota who, if asked what they think about Hillary's changed position on trade, would say it's a bad thing because they dislike women?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2016, 04:59:20 PM
Do you mean you know one or two guys in North Dakota who, if asked what they think about Hillary's changed position on trade, would say it's a bad thing because they dislike women?

no. I'm not talking about misogyny, and this is why I said I don't like using the word "sexism." what I referred to in my earlier posts is committed by women far more than men.