Its terrible
4 (7.1%)
I've never seen it
11 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on February 03, 2016, 05:32:29 AM
What is better?
I can't think of much else good at the moment.
Brooklyn Nine Nine I guess. And........err......

Modern Family
You're the Worst
Kimmy Schmidt

And that's whithout having seen stuff like Veep, Silicon Valley, Transparent...

For the sake of the American people, I certainly hope that Big Bang Theory isn't the best sitcom going.

Josquius

Best doesn't mean all time great. We are in a  pretty low spell for comedy :p

I wouldn't rate modern family higher. But yes to KS. Hope the second series hurries up.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Modern Family took a bit to grow on me, but I like it a lot better than Big Bang Theory.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on February 03, 2016, 05:33:00 AM
I feel its something aimed at my geeky demographic, albeit a wee bit younger (despite some actors being in their 40s). but I don't identify or sympathise with anyone in it and it's far too mainstream to appeal to real geeks. It's geeks as written by a committee of creatives targeting awards and viewing figures.

Something like Pegg and Frost's Cornetto film trilogy and Spaced TV series hit that nerd-comedy niche far better while remaining popular and properly funny.

That's the way I saw it; too self-consciously wannabe-geek-hip.  Not my cup of tea, but if others enjoy it, then good for them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

What is better?

Modern Family
Broad City
Veep
Silicon Valley
Catastrophe
Fresh Meat

BBT is OK. I'll watch it if it's on and nothing much else is but wouldn't bother seeking it out.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2016, 05:37:50 AM
For the sake of the American people, I certainly hope that Big Bang Theory isn't the best sitcom going.

I try to make a distinction between more traditional recorded-live-before-a-studio-audience sitcoms like Big Bang Theory, and prefab productions like Modern Family;  the storyline writing is different, the joke structure is different, so I think it's a bit unfair to group them together.

But yeah, the "live" sitcom format has been hurting on US television for quite some time.  For me, the only one out there really worth watching is Mom; it's actually a bit of a throwback to the 70's style of sitcom--truly acerbic, almost bordering on cruel, comedy on issues like recovery and single motherhood, with a bit of occasionally relevant but appropriately portioned drama.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 03, 2016, 08:01:31 AM
What is better?

Modern Family
Broad City
Veep
Silicon Valley
Catastrophe
Fresh Meat

Please say fresh meat is nothing to do with the British one.
Would hate to think. .....
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on February 03, 2016, 10:07:26 AM
Please say fresh meat is nothing to do with the British one.
Would hate to think. .....

I believe it is the British one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

AFAIK, it's the British one is the only one.

Obviously not to Tyr's taste. Bet he doesn't like Peep Show either...

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 03, 2016, 01:01:35 PM

:blink:
I love Peep Show and Fresh Meat.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Is there a reason you mentioned a British sitcom when Jos was asking about American ones? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 01:31:47 PM

Is there a reason you mentioned a British sitcom when Jos was asking about American ones? :huh:

Laughter knows no boundaries, man.

As hijacks go, I think its a pretty minor infraction.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on February 03, 2016, 01:35:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 01:31:47 PM

Laughter knows no boundaries, man.

As hijacks go, I think its a pretty minor infraction.

Well yes, it is minor but it is also what led to Jos getting confused and thinking there must be an American version of it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.