News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New TV

Started by crazy canuck, January 28, 2016, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Ok not a computer matter.  But my Plasma TV blew after only about two years  :mad:

So, What should I get now in about the 60'' range?

Liep

I don't know because my plasma tv is still going strong in its 7th year now. :cool:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2016, 05:48:32 PM
Ok not a computer matter.  But my Plasma TV blew after only about two years  :mad:

What about a projector/ projecting TV?

Then when it eventually 'blows', you'll just have to buy an incredibly expensive replacement 'bulb'.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

I future proofed a little with my Vizio 55" 4k tv. Vizio is the "budget" company but since comparable spec from Samsung and Sony were about $700-1,000 more I was content to get it. Along with upscaling blue ray player i bought Mad Max, Sciario and Avengers all looked great on it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

I recently upgraded from my Vizio 42" LCD (which was still going strong at about 9 years old), and got a 55" LED LCD Samsung 4K curved TV (gimmicky, I know, but what the hell).  It was only about $1K at Costco.

The cool thing about TV upgrades, is that I had gotten the 42", as I only want a TV that I can carry/move by myself...and nowadays I can do that with a 55".   :showoff:

Grey Fox

You cross the border to the US & buy a Vizio at Costco.

Even with our atrocious exchange rate, it's worth it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2016, 05:48:32 PM

Depends.
Do you have your tv in a bright living room, a very dark dedicated home theater room or somewhere in between?
How much are you willing to spend? 20-30k$ like Malthus*?
Samsung has decent plasmas in the 60" range, Panasonic has switched over to LCD and LED with mixed results while awaiting the next revolution.
LG has decent plasmas too.
Rule of thumb: buy the second most expensive set of the brand you pick.  Avoid the cheap stuff, avoid the über high end marketed at a premium.

Or you could maybe try to find a repair shop for your tv and it won't cost you the price of a new one?  Or it's been done already and they ask you an insane price for repairs?

This Panasonic will be good looking for some movies, but you might experience problems with quick action scenes, like other LCDs drawback.  But since you're not a hockey fan, it might be good for you :P

You could also look through this forum, AVS for tv reviews.  Just keep in mind that most people there buy tvs like Malthus buys strollers, so their reviews tend to err on the side of perfection, even if the tv costs 15k$.  But, still, it will give you an idea what to look for.

*If he buys 2000$ stroller, I can't imagine how much he puts on tv.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Those curvy ones do look rather lovely.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Samsung LED tv. Don't worry about the curvy crap. But by Samsung they are the best imho

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2016, 02:46:13 AM
Samsung LED tv. Don't worry about the curvy crap. But by Samsung they are the best imho

Yeah, I think I am going to avoid all the gimmicky curvy stuff.  But I dont think I am going to get a Samsung though.  My last lemon was a Samsung.  I did some research and it turns out Samsung was using cheap components and ran into problems with the capacitors.  Its hard to screw up a capacitor but they managed to do it.  They settled a class action over the problem a couple years ago.  Max compensation to class members was about 300 bucks.

I am not sure why they are still so highly rated.  I am beginning to think that the ratings of TVs is about as trustworthy as ratings for video games on sites dependent on video game advertising. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 10:32:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2016, 02:46:13 AM

Yeah, I think I am going to avoid all the gimmicky curvy stuff.  But I dont think I am going to get a Samsung though.  My last lemon was a Samsung.  I did some research and it turns out Samsung was using cheap components and ran into problems with the capacitors.  Its hard to screw up a capacitor but they managed to do it.  They settled a class action over the problem a couple years ago.  Max compensation to class members was about 300 bucks.

I am not sure why they are still so highly rated.  I am beginning to think that the ratings of TVs is about as trustworthy as ratings for video games on sites dependent on video game advertising. 
curved tvs are good for 65" and +.  You need a very large screen to see the benefits.
They are good for a dedicated home theater with minimal reflections and where you sit squarely in front of the tv; it's LCD technology so viewing angles are already bad to being with.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

From what I have read the watching angle problem is increased with the curvature.  I really liked the plasma - too bad it blew up and its too bad nobody really makes them anymore.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 12:30:17 PM
From what I have read the watching angle problem is increased with the curvature.  I really liked the plasma - too bad it blew up and its too bad nobody really makes them anymore.
Samsung and LG still make it, I think.  I can't find a clear answer on Samsung Canada's site.  Pioneer and Panasonic dropped the ball on plasma.  I think it just became too cheap and they couldn't charge a premium for it.  If you really want plasma, you could check classified ads to see if someone is selling theirs.

I don't really like LG personally, but it could be my own prejudices.  But between Samsung and LG, I'd pick Samsung.

It's a shame your tv blew, because I feel this isn't a right time to buy a new tv, too many emerging technologies, no clear winner yet.

I have no idea on 4k upscaling works in real life, but if it's like 1080p upscaling of lower quality sources, forget about it.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2016, 02:03:42 PM

I have no idea on 4k upscaling works in real life,
it works, i have used it and can see the differences.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Viper, what new technologies do you have in mind and what is the timeline for it.  I could live with my old TV that still works for a while.  We dont actually watch that much TV.