News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Started by Syt, January 24, 2016, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So, this is out on PC for €29.99.

I've played 3 hours so far and enjoy it, though I'm still in the tutorial part of the game, and the engine shows its age a bit (2012 on PS3). But I've climbed a Cyclops and stabbed it in the face. And in the prologue I cut off the tail and a goat head off a chimera.

The game is based around the Pawn system. You create a permanent follower (in my case a mage for my fighter character). Additionally, you can hire two additional characters out of the pool of Pawns created by other players. Those companions can be hired/fired to match your current needs in game. I understand that the combat can be a bit tough later in the game (it's action based, and you can learn/equip different skills), but so far I enjoy this, though the combat feels a bit chaotic at the moment.

The port from console seems good at 60FPS; you can switch seamlessly between mouse/keyboard and gamepad (e.g. play with gamepad but handle menus with mouse if you like), though the sound is a bit low (it's better when I switch my headset from stereo to 7.1, but I still need to crank up the volume then).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grallon

Bought this yesterday, spur of the moment thing, mostly for the character creator.  :Embarrass:

The gameplay so far doesn't seem very intuitive.  Are you still playing it Syt?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

Uhm, no, I got to the first "big" fight after leaving the original town. I agree about it not being very intuitive, though it may become better later on. The jumping onto big enemies bit takes some getting used to.

Especially with 3 companions combat feels fairly chaotic, and in boss battles it's mayhem. Imagine an action RPG fight with a group of random pick ups in an MMO.

RPS summed up the experience rather well: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/26/dragons-dogma-mmorpg/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.