Article maps out games difficulty v. exclting

Started by Josephus, January 22, 2016, 11:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Oh yeah Low Strategy, Low Excitement, FM baby.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

I am: Two dimensional gamer.

Your Gaming Style :
Calm, Proficient, Relaxed, Independent, Grounded, and Creative

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

PC Gamer recently had a list of the 50 most important PC Games. As such lists go, it's a pretty good one:

http://www.pcgamer.com/most-important-pc-games/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2016, 12:45:59 AM
PC Gamer recently had a list of the 50 most important PC Games. As such lists go, it's a pretty good one:

So many of those early ones I played and loved as a kid:

The Oregon Trail, so many dead buffalo between Independence Missouri and Oregon...

Zork, though I never really did get into this my best friend loved it and I played it alot when I was at his house

Wizardry: Oh wow I was so obsessed with this game but it was way above my capability as a third grader to get very far in it. I would forever go too deep in and get my party wiped but damn I kept trying. Because I could never beat the first one I never played the sequels since they were supposed to be so much harder...until Wizardry 8.

King's Quest: Started many years of loving adventure games I would become so attached to my blocky little sprite who never said anything.

SimCity

The Secret of Monkey Island: I am embarrassed about how many times I played this game. The fact Governor Marley looked kind of like a girl I was totally obsessed with didn't help.

Civilization

Dune II

Ultima Underworld

Wolfenstein 3D

Myst...well I played it, everybody did, but I kind of thought it sucked.

Wing Commander III (actually did not play it that much because I could not afford to get a 486 so I had to play it at my friend's house. But I was totally obsessed with the first two)

After this I became an adult (sort of...) and stopped being able to play everything so from then it is just:

Baldur's Gate: Christmas vacation 1998 will forever be a treasured memory

Everquest

Morrowind

WoW of course. Though I kind of wish I had never played MMOs despite really enjoying alot of my time there. I have not really played them since 2007.

Broken Age...meh but I understand why it was on there

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2016, 01:41:01 AM
Broken Age...meh but I understand why it was on there

I watched Jesse Cox' playthrough of that one. The first half seemed really good in story, setting, and puzzles. The second seemed rushed and bland - which was probably no surprise given the mishandled production on Double Fine's part.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Myst did not suck!

But when it came out -- early 90s I think -- I can't imagine how many people couldn't finish it because of lack of guides. I kinda remember that era being you either figured it out, had a friend or bought a magazine. The game was also incredibly lonely.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

I don't think I got past the few first screens of Myst when I got it  :Embarrass:

I was a teenager and I found it pretty boring anyway, so I didn't get too far.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2016, 12:45:59 AM

Thanks, nice link; my interest in games seems to have started around end of page three, continued through page four and largely ended part way down pag five.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I tried Zork many times. Never really got anywhere. The best I got was randomly stumbling around in the dark to a dam...and that was that. I did used to be fascinated by these text based games though. Tried many a generic MUD in Midgard.

As a kid the PC games for me- Sim City 2000, Civ 2, Frontier Elite, Baldurs Gate, and later on Counterstrike and a tonne of SNES emulated games.

Probably forgetting something really obvious.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

C64 and Commodore Amiga during childhood and early teens. PC gaming didn't become popular in my group of friends till the early/mid 90s when we were 16 and up.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I know I saved up allowance/birthday-christmas money to buy all the early Maxis titles before my family moved to Massachusetts, so that probably puts me at having played SimCity somewhere between 6-8. I remember when SimCity2000 came out it seemed much more difficult...which only makes sense given how young I was in '95. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2016, 05:32:45 AM
I don't think I got past the few first screens of Myst when I got it  :Embarrass:

It was a boring game that spawned a boring genre.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2016, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2016, 05:32:45 AM

It was a boring game that spawned a boring genre.

Said anybody who never got past the first level  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011