How would you do the Star Wars prequels/sequels?

Started by Queequeg, January 19, 2016, 12:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2016, 12:08:17 AM
That is a pretty kick ass story right there!

Agreed. I would keep the name "Jarjar" though. :jaron:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2016, 06:19:30 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
3: Push the story forward. Yes its a prequel. But we want revelations. Not just a story we already kind of know. Point out why more things in episode 4 are the way they are. Plant some seeds for episode 7.
hmm, the strenght of Star Wars has always been that nothing is really explained.  We don't know what is the Force, where it comes from really.   We don't know (as of Ep IV) how was the Empire created, who is this rebel alliance striking against the Empire.  How big was the defeat for the Empire?  Who's Vader, how does he fit into in the chain of command?  There's a lot of mystery, and that was fascinating.
It's fine for this series where you're jumping in mid series.
By doing prequels though.....direct prequels that is...our entire purpose is explanation of what came after. 
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The prequels had to establish a few things:
- how did Anakin become Vader?
- who's Luke's and Leia's mother?
- how did the the Emperor come to power?

I think many elements of the prequels are fine (if poorly executed). Anakin turning to the dark side to save someone he loves? The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Works for me. Palpatine orchestrating a huge conflict that serves to elevate him to power and provide him with a massive army of loyal clones? Fine by me.

Doesn't mean a fair few things could be changed. Episode I - I think it's a good idea to show what a relatively quiet place the galaxy is at this point (don't need trade disputes, though ... ). Jedi going about, dealing with small crises, negotiating, the occasional crime lord that needs putting down ... on one of those adventures (doesn't really matter what it is) they meet Anakin. He's strong with the force, but he has a bit of a temper. The Jedi, after much debate, decide to train him, because he's so strong that leaving him unguided would be a risk. Obi-Wan feels a bit reminded of his younger self and offers to be his master. That's the first half hour. Cut to ten years later. Anakin is a teenager. Anakin and Obi-Wan go through a fun adventure to build their relationship. There's banter and the casting requires great chemistry, but Anakin keeps challenging Obi-Wan - in a serious fashion, not in a whiny emo fashion. Obi-Wan is both impressed and troubled by this. They meet Padme (make her the restless daughter of someone they work with/against, but NOT a 14 year old elected queen), Anakin falls is smitten.

Episode II can proceed largely the same - Anakin and Padme fall in love and struggle with balancing their passion against their responsibility. Anakin and Obi-Wan are still getting along well, but Obi-Wan notices that Anakin keeps secrets from him (Padme) and when he finds out is torn but decides to cover for him, hoping that this can be worked out.

Episode III can be left largely as is. The emotional stakes are higher due to changes in the first two movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I do like CCs story but yes. I agree that keeping episode 1 as a peaceful place with small scale adventures is a good idea. Perhaps Obi Wan stops the hutts doing something
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2016, 04:06:22 AM
I do like CCs story but yes. I agree that keeping episode 1 as a peaceful place with small scale adventures is a good idea. Perhaps Obi Wan stops the hutts doing something

Yeah, I have this idea... where the Hutt Cartel use some pretext to invade a peaceful planet, and since the Republic hasn't been in a war for centuries they drag their feet about it. Obi Wan and his master end up stopping them.

Queequeg

IDK.  The Hutts aren't particularly menacing. 

I actually kind of wish something like the KOTOR/ToR plot had been available.  I kind of like the idea of the Sith as, well, relatively sympathetic, or at least interesting.  There's a real story there, almost Old Testament; an exiled people who find solace on a new world, are then destroyed and further exiled, then come back to their home in violent glory.  Palpatine, or Darth Plageius, could be a kind of Sith Theodor Herzl. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

I was just pointing out that the plot of Episode I already meets all of Tyr's criteria  :D

It's just very badly executed, but overall, the basic story of the prequels is a good one.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2016, 03:43:13 AM
I think many elements of the prequels are fine (if poorly executed).

Well I completely disagree. I would be hard pressed for an element that works.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2016, 06:11:26 AM
I was just pointing out that the plot of Episode I already meets all of Tyr's criteria  :D

It's just very badly executed, but overall, the basic story of the prequels is a good one.

Disposable armies you do not care about battle to save a corrupt, contemptible, and ineffectual space bureaucracy? How is that a good story?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2016, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2016, 06:11:26 AM

Disposable armies you do not care about battle to save a corrupt, contemptible, and ineffectual space bureaucracy? How is that a good story?

It's basically the fall of the Roman Republic in a sci-fi setting. It could've been a great story.

I think the basic premise of the story is the right one. Lucas just told it terribly.

celedhring

And speaking of Kotor, I would have totally ripped off the background of KOTOR 1, with Darth Revan = Anakin.