And we're back!

Main Menu

Alan Rickman dead

Started by Solmyr, January 14, 2016, 07:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

:(

Was awesome in Galaxy quest
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Wow.  One of the greats.  Doomed to be the only redeeming virtue in several big-budget artistic stinkers, but the most memorable role for me was in Truly, Madly, Deeply.  He turned a very ordinary movie into something magical - and I don't even like those kinds of movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Wow he was 69? Looked younger. RIP. Slytherin House will miss you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on January 14, 2016, 10:45:42 AM
:(

Was awesome in Galaxy quest

Indeed.  But I'm still amazed that a movie with that cast was not brilliant, rather than just 'good."  Rickman was the only one who came out of that flick with his acting chops enhanced.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Ok, this is becoming a seriously depressing celebrity death month. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 14, 2016, 11:47:02 AM
Ok, this is becoming a seriously depressing celebrity death month. :(

I even wonder who's next.

RIP

sbr

If we count lemmy that's three so we should be safe for awhile.

Martinus

Based on obituaries posted by various celebrities I follow on Facebook, he seemed to have been a really lovely man and a class act in addition to being a great actor.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

From 2008:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/tvandradioblog/2008/may/30/aformulafortheperfectvoic

QuoteA formula for the perfect voice?

A study claims to have found an equation for the most pleasing male and female voice. Listen to the results here and let us know what you think

Researchers claim to have worked out a formula to find the perfect human voice. The study, which asked people to rate 50 voices then analysed the results, found a combination of Mariella Frostrup, Dame Judi Dench and Honor Blackman makes up the perfect female voice, while the most appealing male voice is a mixture of Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons and Michael Gambon.

The equation represents the most pleasing blend of tone, speed, frequency, words per minute and intonation. The ideal voice should, apparently, utter no more than 164 words per minute and pause for 0.48 seconds between sentences that fall in intonation.

The research was conducted by linguistics Professor Andrew Linn, sound engineer Shannon Harris and singer Lily Allen.

You can listen to a computer simulated sample of the perfect male voice here, and one of the perfect female voice here. Let us know whether you agree with the findings - or nominate your choice for the best-sounding voice.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

He won't be joining us again for the rest of his life. :(

(I'm sorry, but it had to be said.  RIP Alan Rickman  :cry: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

This year it's getting to the stage where the news is better off just reporting which celebrities are still alive :(
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Brazen on January 14, 2016, 08:50:11 AM
Can the next celebrity who dies be a non national treasure we won't miss, please.

If you're opening the floor for nominations, how about Pauly Shore?

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2016, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: Brazen on January 14, 2016, 08:50:11 AM
Can the next celebrity who dies be a non national treasure we won't miss, please.

If you're opening the floor for nominations, how about Pauly Shore?

List of other celebrities who are currently 69: http://www.famousbirthdays.com/year/1946.html