News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What should England's national anthem be?

Started by Brazen, January 13, 2016, 05:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

MPs are set to debate and vote on a new national anthem for England. We currently use God Save The Queen, i.e. the same as for the UK as a whole. About time we had one of our own to sing at sports events like the Scots, Welsh and Irish, but I'm not sure MPs are best placed to select it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35296296

Here's my vote, what's yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3NpGVJB_o

Monoriu

Land of Hope and Glory.  Or Rule, Britannia!  But the latter is probably more suitable as the anthem for the UK as a whole rather than England? 

Brazen

That's the problem with most of the alternatives, they're all UK-wide. Jerusalem is the top (serious) choice as it's the only one that's really England specific and mentions it in the lyrics (as well as a certain Middle Eastern city).

There'll Always Be An England could be a contender too.

No-one has suggested the alternative of England keeping God Save The queen - after all there's a little-sung verse about smashing the Scots - and the UK getting a new one instead.

Monoriu

I am not familiar with the Jerusalem song.  But I just think that it is a little odd that your national anthem is named after a city in a totally foreign country. 

Zanza

God Save The Queen

You have to show those uppity Scots, Welsh and Irish that they are mere appendages of the English Empire.

Josquius

Shouldn't be one. Seeing England as a monolithic united entry is something that needs tearing down.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Jerusalem is pretty awful as an anthem (I don't even care for it as a song, but that's beside the point; it's just not the right kind of music for an anthem).  Land of Hope and Glory is very good,  but in the US it is played at every graduation ceremony ever, so it would sound odd to American ears as a national anthem (not a killer consideration, but a consideration).  I like the sound of "There'll Always be an England, but the opening lyrics are awkward.  Maybe they just sing the refrain?  That would work best, IMO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on January 13, 2016, 07:02:55 AM
Shouldn't be one. Seeing England as a monolithic united entry is something that needs tearing down.

I don't think the separatists should have a veto over the anthem, even when their grounds are not strawman arguments.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pedrito

Isn't Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, March no. 1 already been used in some events?

EDIT: ah ok, i did not know it was called Land of Hope and Glory, too.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

"England Belongs to Me" as performed by Cock Sparrer.

PRC

Tamas

Jerusalem is beautiful but as grumbler said absolutely not suitable for an anthem.

Obviously, it should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5rfPISIwo