News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How not to do public transit

Started by Barrister, January 06, 2016, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Only Alberta could make Montreal's transit system look downright awesome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Apart from the train interiors being smaller than I would have liked, I don't recall any negative experiences with the Montreal subway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 01:48:57 PM
Apart from the train interiors being smaller than I would have liked, I don't recall any negative experiences with the Montreal subway.

OK katmai.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

The seats are all weird which mostly prevents moving your empty spaces on the train when crowded.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on January 06, 2016, 05:52:31 PM
Well sure, the subway system is great - but the A-train is not the line to be extolling.

It has the song. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

It's from another time but the transit system is more than just the Subway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2016, 02:51:11 PM
Well sure, the subway system is great - but the A-train is not the line to be extolling.

It has the song. 

Wiki has some handy facts:

The 6 has 2 songs about it and inspired the title of Jennifer Lopez's first album. Of course 6 is pretty awful...but then it does boast impressive ridership by its lonesome.

The A looks to have 3-4 songs, including a mention by Azealia Banks.

D train gets 8 song mentions including tracks by Bob Dylan, Yoko Ono and two by the Beastie boys.

Indirect mentions of 4,5,6 by Velvet Underground

F at least has one mention, and L train has a few including the fact that it 'is a swell train'.

Then I had to stop as there are apparently too many people happy to sing about way too many of the lines. :Embarrass:

Caliga

It seems like public transit in Chicago is like the worst ever.  One of my homies is late to work almost every day due to something happening on the subway.  Here's stuff that I can recall coming up to make him late:

* someone died on the train
* the train hit someone
* people fighting on the train
* the conductor passed out
* the trains all broke down at once
* one train broke down and held the rest up
* a crazy homeless guy got on the train and started harassing all of the women

This last one happened just yesterday to him.

When I lived in Boston and took public transit, stuff like this rarely if ever happened.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I liked when I lived there that the train just fell of theach tracks.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on January 07, 2016, 01:49:26 PM

OK katmai.
raciss
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2016, 02:51:11 PM

It has the song. 

Wiki has some handy facts:

The 6 has 2 songs about it and inspired the title of Jennifer Lopez's first album. Of course 6 is pretty awful...but then it does boast impressive ridership by its lonesome.

The A looks to have 3-4 songs, including a mention by Azealia Banks.

D train gets 8 song mentions including tracks by Bob Dylan, Yoko Ono and two by the Beastie boys.

Indirect mentions of 4,5,6 by Velvet Underground

F at least has one mention, and L train has a few including the fact that it 'is a swell train'.

Then I had to stop as there are apparently too many people happy to sing about way too many of the lines. :Embarrass:

I sing of trains and the man, he who, exiled by fate,

first came from the coast to NYC, and to

American shores – hurled about endlessly by land and under,

by the will of the MTA, by cruel Transit Authority's remorseless anger,

long suffering also on busses, until he found his destination

and brought his goods to Gotham: from there the downtown people

came, the lords of Manhattan, inside the walls of noble New York.

Muse, tell me the cause: how the MTA was offended in its divinity,

how was it grieved, the Queen of Civil Servants, to drive a man,

noted for virtue, to endure such dangers, to face so many

trials? Can there be such anger in the minds of bureaucrats?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2016, 03:49:04 PM

OK katmai.
raciss
White people.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 03:53:51 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2016, 03:49:04 PM

OK katmai.
raciss
White people.

Yo momma
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 07, 2016, 03:54:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 03:27:10 AM
Owning a car isn't cheap.
Cheaper than living centrally.
Until recently, I was always living centrally with a car. :weep: