News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How not to do public transit

Started by Barrister, January 06, 2016, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

City Public Transportation is for hobo's and poor people.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 06, 2016, 09:59:40 PM

Depends on the country. Every one uses it in Korea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2016, 10:00:32 PM

Exactly
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 06, 2016, 10:02:45 PM

Exactly

S. Korea's per capita GDP is $27,513, two spots behind Italy and one ahead of Spain for 28th in the world by IMF's 2015 rankings. Not a poor country.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2016, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 06, 2016, 10:02:45 PM

Exactly

S. Korea's per capita GDP is $27,513, two spots behind Italy and one ahead of Spain for 28th in the world by IMF's 2015 rankings. Not a poor country.

So you are saying they are all hobo's?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

I take the bus and train to work everyday (though thankfully not the accursed Metro Line mentioned in the article). :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

City Public Transportationcars is for hobo's lazy and poor people.
Grammatically dubiously fixed
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Light trains are a delicate affair. The ones we have in Barcelona work pretty well, but they now want to extend the line through the busiest thoroughfare in town and I'm afraid it will have similar effects to Edmonton - creating more trouble than it solves.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

This means, as noticed elsewhere, than tramways/light trail sharing the road with cars is not optimal. Ergo, separate but more expensive tracks are better. Not exactly groundbreaking, the messy U-Bahn/Straßenbahn in Frankfurt sharing the streets with cars and busses was not exactly great too.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on January 07, 2016, 03:18:53 AM
City Public Transportationcars is for hobo's lazy and poor people.

Cause the cool kids all have space ships.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2016, 03:31:05 AM
This means, as noticed elsewhere, than tramways/light trail sharing the road with cars is not optimal. Ergo, separate but more expensive tracks are better. Not exactly groundbreaking, the messy U-Bahn/Straßenbahn in Frankfurt sharing the streets with cars and busses was not exactly great too.

I don't think that's the lesson here.  Edmonton's existing system is mostly above-ground and crosses many roads - it works out just fine.

The rant I linked to only touches on the problem, which is that the signalling system for the new line simply doesn't work.  It is supposed to mesh with the existing system which was built 30-40 years ago, and it just doesn't do the job.  The new line was fully built but sat idle for almost a year because they couldn't get the signals working.

Eventually in order to try and salvage something from the situation they opened the new line but it operates purely manually.  This means the trains are limited to a very leisurely 25 km/h, trains are limited to only 3 cars*, and traffic lights are all turned to red long before a train approaches an intersection.

So I don't know if the problem was with the city, or with the contractor.  It seems destined for a huge lawsuit eventually, though the two continue to try and work out a solution.  But it has been a major, though hopefully unique, fuck up.

*The three car trains are my pet peeve, since I don't ride on the new Metro line.  But those trains do eventually hoook up to the part of the system I ride on.  So now, instead of every train being 5 cars at peak hours, every 2nd or 3rd train is only 3 cars, which makes it incredibly crowded.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2016, 10:39:40 AM

I don't think that's the lesson here.  Edmonton's existing system is mostly above-ground and crosses many roads - it works out just fine.

The rant I linked to only touches on the problem, which is that the signalling system for the new line simply doesn't work.  It is supposed to mesh with the existing system which was built 30-40 years ago, and it just doesn't do the job.  The new line was fully built but sat idle for almost a year because they couldn't get the signals working.

Eventually in order to try and salvage something from the situation they opened the new line but it operates purely manually.  This means the trains are limited to a very leisurely 25 km/h, trains are limited to only 3 cars*, and traffic lights are all turned to red long before a train approaches an intersection.

So I don't know if the problem was with the city, or with the contractor.  It seems destined for a huge lawsuit eventually, though the two continue to try and work out a solution.  But it has been a major, though hopefully unique, fuck up.

*The three car trains are my pet peeve, since I don't ride on the new Metro line.  But those trains do eventually hoook up to the part of the system I ride on.  So now, instead of every train being 5 cars at peak hours, every 2nd or 3rd train is only 3 cars, which makes it incredibly crowded.

:blink:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2016, 10:39:40 AM
This means, as noticed elsewhere, than tramways/light rail sharing the road with cars is not optimal. Ergo, separate but more expensive tracks are better. Not exactly groundbreaking, the messy U-Bahn/Straßenbahn in Frankfurt sharing the streets with cars and busses was not exactly great too.

I see what you mean, the signaling makes it even worse, almost in a laughable manner, but even in normal conditions problems are to be expected. Above-ground system can be separated from the roads too.
OTOH, i remember the fiasco when they chose a pneumatic tramway network for a French city with lots of snow during the winter. Sounds incredible? Well, it's Clermont-Ferrand, Michelin capital.  :lol: