Saudis cut ties with Iran following Shiite cleric execution

Started by garbon, January 03, 2016, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Right wingers wanted to see examples of muslims taking action against islamic extremists. Well here you go...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2016, 11:38:55 PM
They can't hate each other that much if Saudi has an embassy in Tehran.  :hmm:

They don't any more.  See: the title to this thread.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35251917

QuoteIran accuses Saudis of bombing embassy in Yemen

Iran has accused Saudi-led coalition warplanes of bombing its embassy in Yemen's capital Sanaa, state media say.

Broadcaster Irinn said missiles had struck the embassy, causing damage.

Sanaa residents said there were dozens of air strikes on Thursday morning by the coalition, which is battling the Houthi rebel movement.

Riyadh, which is embroiled in a diplomatic row with Iran over the execution of a Shia cleric, accuses Tehran of supporting the Houthis.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 12:09:05 PM
Right wingers wanted to see examples of muslims taking action against islamic extremists. Well here you go...

:D

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2016, 06:15:17 AM

QuoteIran accuses Saudis of bombing embassy in Yemen

Iran has accused Saudi-led coalition warplanes of bombing its embassy in Yemen's capital Sanaa, state media say.

Broadcaster Irinn said missiles had struck the embassy, causing damage.

Sanaa residents said there were dozens of air strikes on Thursday morning by the coalition, which is battling the Houthi rebel movement.

Riyadh, which is embroiled in a diplomatic row with Iran over the execution of a Shia cleric, accuses Tehran of supporting the Houthis.

Okay, that's unexpected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Update:

QuoteIran embassy bombing: Saudis targeted Yemen site - Tehran

Iran has accused Saudi-led coalition warplanes of "deliberately" bombing its embassy in Yemen's capital, Sanaa.

State media quoted a foreign ministry spokesman as saying members of staff had been wounded in an air strike.

Sanaa residents reported dozens of air strikes on Thursday by the coalition, which is battling Houthi rebels.

However, residents and witnesses in Sanaa reported there was no damage to the embassy after the air strikes, Reuters and AP report.

An AP reporter at the site said the embassy was still standing and had no visible damage.

A coalition spokesman said the strikes had targeted rebel missile launchers, and that the rebels had used abandoned embassies for operations.

Saudi Arabia has become embroiled in a diplomatic row with Iran after a Shia cleric, Nimr al-Nimr, was executed by the Saudi authorities.

The government in Riyadh accuses Iran of supporting the Houthis militarily - a charge it denies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

FT reported today that there has been a big popular backlash against the embassy attack - i.e. people are blaming hardliners for vandalism and making Iran look bad.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2016, 11:20:42 AM
FT reported today that there has been a big popular backlash against the embassy attack - i.e. people are blaming hardliners for vandalism and making Iran look bad.

Heh, aren't embassy attacks traditional for Iran?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Solmyr

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/07/news/iran-saudi-arabia-trade-pilgrimages/

QuoteIran has banned all imports from Saudi Arabia and told Iranians they can't join pilgrimages to its holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

So no more pilgrimage for Iranians. Will this be a big thing?

Syt

Considering it's one of the Five Pillars, it should be pretty big for devout Muslims in Iran.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Huh...could the Saudis actually want to provoke the Iranians into war with them, banking on the fact that the Americans will have to slap them down? It would cause the price of oil to skyrocket.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on January 11, 2016, 06:05:47 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/07/news/iran-saudi-arabia-trade-pilgrimages/

QuoteIran has banned all imports from Saudi Arabia and told Iranians they can't join pilgrimages to its holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

So no more pilgrimage for Iranians. Will this be a big thing?

It's one of the things the Saudis promised never to do as custodians of the holy sites.  It is an interesting escalation, but one that will almost certainly backfire as Muslims around the world see the Saudis politicizing the Haj.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

How does it fall on the Saudis if Iran tells its people not to go on the hajj?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?