Saudis cut ties with Iran following Shiite cleric execution

Started by garbon, January 03, 2016, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2016, 02:58:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2016, 02:33:43 PM
30 Years' War was a proxy war between God and Satan.

So how do you explain France?

I'm reading Gregory of Tours right now. I'll have to get back to you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Oil ain't exactly rallying on the tension between the two.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: PJL on January 04, 2016, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2016, 02:21:52 PM
30 Years' War imminent?

I'd say it's been ongoing for the last 10 years already, ever since the fall of Saddam really. It's just getting warmer that's all.

more like 1400 years war. Sunni and Shia have been slaughtering each other since Ali (iirc)

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 04, 2016, 03:27:54 PM
more like 1400 years war. Sunni and Shia have been slaughtering each other since Ali (iirc)

Well that is different. Just like you do not date the actual 30 years war to Martin Luther.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PJL on January 04, 2016, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2016, 02:21:52 PM
30 Years' War imminent?

I'd say it's been ongoing for the last 10 years already, ever since the fall of Saddam really. It's just getting warmer that's all.

Nah,  I'd say it began four years ago when open war broke out in Syria.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

:o Who could have predicted all this!?  :rolleyes:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/04/iran_and_saudi_arabia_tensions_could_derail_syria_talks.html

Iran and Saudi Arabia Hate Each Other More Than They Hate ISIS
By Joshua Keating

U.S. officials are worried about how this week's rising Saudi-Iranian tensions will impact the fight against ISIS and the tenuous Syrian peace process—and they should be. The only reason for any sort of optimism about the process to end the nearly 5-year-old conflict was that Saudi Arabia, the region's pre-eminent Sunni power and a major backer of the Syrian rebellions, and Iran, the region's pre-eminent Shiite power and a major backer of the Assad regime, had both agreed to come to the table. Now what?

U.N. peace talks bringing together Syria's warring parties are due to convene on Jan. 25. The killing of the leader of one of the largest Syrian rebel factions by either a Syrian or Russian airstrike last month had already threatened to derail the fragile process. With Riyadh and Tehran now at each other's throats, it will take a herculean diplomatic effort to get talks back on track.

From a U.S. perspective, the current round of tension looks stunningly unnecessary and shortsighted given the larger issues at stake in the region. According to leaked documents obtained by the Independent, Saudi Arabia executed prominent Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr and 46 other people knowing full well that it would provoke angry protests abroad. Iran, for once, might have had international public opinion on its side, at least until hard-line protesters ransacked and burned the Saudi embassy in Tehran. As the Guardian's Saeed Kamali Dehghan writes, "This was the moment when Iran could have argued that Saudis were to blame for the growing sectarianism in the region, but instead it scored an own goal." Even Iran's ally Russia condemned the storming of the embassy, which is pretty rich given the attack on the Turkish embassy in Moscow just last month. The Sunni-led governments of Bahrain, Sudan, and the United Arab Emirates have now all joined Saudi Arabia in taking diplomatic action against Iran.

In the wake of the November Paris attacks, the French scholar Olivier Roy warned in the New York Times that while the U.S. and European countries may view the Syrian conflict and the resulting rise of ISIS as the most pressing problem in the Middle East, "the main actors in the Middle East deem other enemies to be more important." As I wrote last month, there are a few cases where the threats and complications emanating from Syria have pressured rivals to overcome differences, but the region's two key rivals—Iran and Saudi Arabia—still view each other as a bigger threat than ISIS.

Saudi Arabia is concerned about both containing Iranian influence and tamping down domestic instability—hence the execution of Nimr and three other Shiites, along with 43 Sunni al-Qaida figures. The latter's inclusion was meant to send a signal to Sunnis that King Salman, not al-Qaida, can lead the fight against the Iranian-led Shiite encroachment. As Reuters put it, cutting diplomatic ties then "underlined an assertive new foreign policy to counter Tehran under King Salman's year-old monarchy."

Iranian conservatives, meanwhile, were already alarmed at the prospect of a peace process in Syria involving Saudi-backed rebels that could lead to the removal of pro-Iranian President Bashar al-Assad. The weekend's demonstration of defiance was probably deemed worth the risk of blowing up the peace process because conservatives are wary of the peace process to begin with.

The nationalist fervor unleashed on both sides may benefit both governments in the short term. Unfortunately the people of Syria—as well as Yemen, where Saudi Arabia just ended a short-lived cease-fire with the Shiite Houthi rebels—are sure to suffer as a result.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

They can't hate each other that much if Saudi has an embassy in Tehran.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I don't think the Saudis hate ISIS that much.  They don't want them in Saudi Arabia, but they don't mind them in Iraq and Syria overly much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

God was the first American. He was American even before there was an America.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2016, 10:58:49 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 08:47:55 AM
God is an American.

Yep

He was so occupied getting his tobacco plantation up and running in 1618 he accidentally let a massive war break out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."