News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So I got some AGEOD/Matrix games for Christmas

Started by Valmy, January 02, 2016, 08:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

So I got the Civil War II game and 'To End all Wars' which I guess is WWI II. It kind of seems like WWI I loaded up as France and was attacking with penache and elan but I was getting really frustrated because I was creating all these new divisions and corps but I could not create new generals to command them...and while legendary names like de Castelnau and Dubail may inspire some I was kind of hoping to sack them eventually. But I could make new British Generals. And loading up some other scenarios I could make new Austrian and Russian and German generals as well. So I guess AGEOD is saying French generals are worth zero (and considering many of the most incompetent Central Powers generals have ratings higher than guys like Foche I guess they are kind of saying that) :P

But seriously really? Over a year after release and one of the major powers cannot make generals (and a remake of a six or seven year old game at that)? Does anybody else have this game? I have hunted around on the internet and nobody even seems to play anybody but the Germans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've been playing that one as well.  As far as I can tell it's impossible to get in position to fight the battle of the Marne at the proper time.  Who thought two week turns were a good idea?  But yeah, everyone who isn't German comes across as really sucky.  I haven't tried to buy generals.  I just throw the ones I have at the enemy.  This is not a good strategy, btw.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Civil War II is ruined by "National Fortitude" or however they named the mechanic that causes National Morale to steadily rise upward to a predetermined point.

Although you can in theory win the game with the other side losing will for the fight, in practice short of taking their capital this is impossible. The war can get much bloodier than historical, and at that completely one-sided, but it will continue on regardless.

Here the North valiantly fights on, despite by the fall of '63 having lost more men than it ever would in the historical conflict. Besides their human losses, they couldn't hold Philadelphia, New York City, or Chicago. (It goes without saying the Border States are all Confederate.)

But whatever else may happen, Fortress Washington yet endures, so the North has no interest in a status quo peace, preferring instead to see if they can go double or nothing to lose Boston as well.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Since Tamas's name is on the product he really should be blamed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

I find it amusing that your complaint is that the North has not surrendered after losing Chicago and NYC, rather than the absurdity of a game about the "Civil War" where such a thing is even possible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Lettow77

I am willing to make more allowances for the ineptitude and incompetence of the Yankee Host than for its fortitude or courage.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2016, 09:25:56 PM
I find it amusing that your complaint is that the North has not surrendered after losing Chicago and NYC, rather than the absurdity of a game about the "Civil War" where such a thing is even possible.

That's why I didn't like the first AGEOD civil war game.  I don't think most battles of civil war were fought in upstate New York.

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2016, 12:13:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2016, 09:25:56 PM

That's why I didn't like the first AGEOD civil war game.  I don't think most battles of civil war were fought in upstate New York.

If you play multiplayer they aren't.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2016, 09:03:49 PM
I've been playing that one as well.  As far as I can tell it's impossible to get in position to fight the battle of the Marne at the proper time.  Who thought two week turns were a good idea?  But yeah, everyone who isn't German comes across as really sucky.  I haven't tried to buy generals.  I just throw the ones I have at the enemy.  This is not a good strategy, btw.

In my game the Germans focused on the Russians so I attacked their flanks and broke thorugh...slowly. The French generals were so incompetent that they often did not activate. I mean geez I get the French Army was prepared to fight a different war than the one that was fought but they at least knew how to charge forward.

But I digress. I was looking for a place to get an answer on my 'making new French generals' bug and this was the forum I thought I was most likely to find an official response :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2016, 01:01:57 AM
But I digress. I was looking for a place to get an answer on my 'making new French generals' bug and this was the forum I thought I was most likely to find an official response :P

You need to use decisions (F12) to liberate 6 new Generals, costing 3 Engagement Points and 300 State Funds. You must move the "New General" Icon onto the France flag on the off-screen diplomacy section.

It's written right there and then on the tooltip for the New General decision. :rolleyes: It definitely works I've used that decision as the Eastern Entente.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on January 03, 2016, 01:24:51 AM

You need to use decisions (F12) to liberate 6 new Generals, costing 3 Engagement Points and 300 State Funds. You must move the "New General" Icon onto the France flag on the off-screen diplomacy section.

It's written right there and then on the tooltip for the New General decision. :rolleyes: It definitely works I've used that decision as the Eastern Entente.

I am well aware of that dude. It works great with every faction besides the French.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2016, 02:11:23 AM
Quote from: Drakken on January 03, 2016, 01:24:51 AM

I am well aware of that dude. It works great with every faction besides the French.

I think someone failed to read your post before responding.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

I got 30 years war at Tamas' suggestion and hated it.

My advice to anyone is never buy a game he recommends or at least do a lot of research beforehand - watch gameplay videos / get a demo if one exists / read player reviews.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on January 03, 2016, 09:20:39 PM
I got 30 years war at Tamas' suggestion and hated it.

My advice to anyone is never buy a game he recommends or at least do a lot of research beforehand - watch gameplay videos / get a demo if one exists / read player reviews.

I would just generally say that AGEOD games generally aren't worth one's time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

I really want to like AGEOD's games but it rarely works out for me.

I did have fun in the one Civil War game I played in PBEM.