News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oculus Rift VR

Started by Syt, January 07, 2016, 04:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, the device is available for consumer pre-order.

System requirements:

Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory 8GB+ RAM
Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

Price: $599.-

Includes: headset, sensor, Oculus Remote, cables, Xbox One Controller, EVE: Valkyrie, and Lucky's Tale
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

How does one find out if one's video card is equivalent or greater than that?

Not that mine meets the other requirements anyway. :(

And $599 seems very high for an entertainment system that also requires a high end computer.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Those look neat, but I have a feeling I'd get headaches and/or dizziness if I used it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Liep: They have an app on their webpage (I'm at work so can't check) to test compatibility.

I would be eager to try one out, but my computer would be too weak (and I think I don't have enough free USB 3.0 ports). I thought about getting a new computer this Christmas, but found that it was still good enough for what I do.

If there are good games for VR by the end of next year (or the forseeable future) I would probably upgrade then, with VR in mind. Damn, imagine an X-Wing or TIE-Fighter game with modern graphics and VR. :mmm:

Not too shocked by the $599.- price tag; I was guessing $499 for the headset alone, and with controller and a few things added 599 is pricey but not outrageous IMHO.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2016, 04:48:22 AM
Liep: They have an app on their webpage (I'm at work so can't check) to test compatibility.

Failed on 3 out of 5 tests. :(

And 599 alone might not be outrageous, but then you need a good PC that can run it which will cost probably around $800+.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/06/oculus-rift-price/

QuoteThe bad news is that it'll cost you a terrifying $600 before tax and shipping if you're Stateside, and it gets even worse if you're based in the UK or Europe – £500 for the former, €700 for the latter – before shipping.

Ok, €700 (or $750 at current rate) plus shipping is a bit pricey for my tastes :lol:

EDIT: And it doesn't let me select Austria as shipping country, anyways. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

To get the most out of Oculus Rift, it has been suggest you should at least SLI GTX 970s.  :wacko: It's prohibitively expensive, I think.

And I doubt that being an early adopter will be a wise choice in this matter.

Syt

Agreed. A year or two later there should be more affordable offers out there, and hopefully with any early kinks worked out.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

This is wave 1 and it's already sold out.

It's like buying a 3d TV in 2009.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2016, 04:33:40 AM
How does one find out if one's video card is equivalent or greater than that?
For Nvidia, look at the list here:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware
Anything above GTX 970 is ok in the GTX column.

For AMD, it's here:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9#
Anything to the right of R9 200 specs is above.

For equivalent, that would be non consumer video cards.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

OMG OMG OMG VR THE FUTURE IS NOW

I think I'll pass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I've imagined a computer in my head with the necessary specs.  That should be enough for VR, no?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

VR was all the rage back in the early 90s....never caught on then...

What I want is a holodeck
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on January 07, 2016, 07:33:18 PM
VR was all the rage back in the early 90s....never caught on then...

Technology is constantly improving, today's VR is probably cheaper and more convincing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?