News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Polemics of Donald Trump

Started by Ender, December 28, 2015, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 28, 2015, 03:39:33 PM

If Obama is a liberal, then he's certainly not the same kind of liberal that Kennedy was.

I have trouble seeing any modern Democrat saying, sincerely, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".  While I have some reservations about Kennedy's statement, modern liberalism is mostly about the government doing for people what they should be doing for themselves--or even worse, doing what should not be done at all.

At any rate, the article is crap.  While I think that there are social/economic/political problems that have been caused or exacerbated by liberal policies, and I agree that liberals have, to a large extent, controlled the terms of debate on public issues, I hardly find Trump a good example of someone who will tell the truth in the face of liberal untruths.  And beyond that, simply calling out the liberals on their BS isn't enough;  you also have to put forward a set of different policies you believe in to counter liberal policies.  And those different policies have to be good policies, not banning Moslems from entering the country.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 28, 2015, 04:01:03 PM
I have trouble seeing any modern Democrat saying, sincerely, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".  While I have some reservations about Kennedy's statement, modern liberalism is mostly about the government doing for people what they should be doing for themselves--or even worse, doing what should not be done at all.

Oh so FDR and Kennedy and LBJ were all about not having the government do anything for anybody? Bizarre take there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 28, 2015, 04:16:12 PM
Quote from: dps on December 28, 2015, 04:01:03 PM

Oh so FDR and Kennedy and LBJ were all about not having the government do anything for anybody? Bizarre take there.

There's a difference between the government not doing for people what people should be doing for themselves, and the government not doing anything for anybody.

Of course, reasonable people can disagree about what counts as things people should be doing for themselves and what doesn't.  Indeed, FDR, JFK, and LBJ would probably not be entirely in agreement with each other about exactly where that line should be drawn.

The Brain

FDR provided government housing for Japanese-Americans. That's too liberal for me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on December 28, 2015, 04:24:45 PM
FDR provided government housing for Japanese-Americans. That's too liberal for me.

:lol: :thumbsup:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 28, 2015, 04:22:58 PM
There's a difference between the government not doing for people what people should be doing for themselves, and the government not doing anything for anybody.

Of course, reasonable people can disagree about what counts as things people should be doing for themselves and what doesn't.  Indeed, FDR, JFK, and LBJ would probably not be entirely in agreement with each other about exactly where that line should be drawn.

True. But what big program have modern liberals put into place? I guess Obamacare. But you seem to think it is much more widespread than that. I mean there is Bernie Sanders I guess.

Admiral Yi

I can't think of any significant new spending program that Kennedy created.  Probably his most significant domestic policy was cutting wartime tax rates.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on December 28, 2015, 04:24:45 PM
:pinch:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on December 28, 2015, 04:32:20 PM

True. But what big program have modern liberals put into place? I guess Obamacare. But you seem to think it is much more widespread than that. I mean there is Bernie Sanders I guess.

The second biggest was the Medicare part D that GW Bush did.  :P

I know it sounds weird to Europeans to call any of these people liberals though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2015, 01:42:01 PM
What's with the sock puppet dude?

He thinks it's a game.

He wants to get high as the sky
he's kissin' his life goodbye
he think it's a game that he play
but the winners lose it all someday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ender

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2015, 01:42:01 PM
:lol:  "Bath of steel."

What's with the sock puppet dude?
I forgot my email and password.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2015, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2015, 02:53:40 PM
What were liberals challenging 50 years ago?

I'm guessing that's a reference to Vietnam and, more generally, the counter culture.

I'm not sure what that has to do with "our cities" and "immigration".  It's hard to see a connection.  Maybe there is some sort of radical legal changes in the middle 1960's that culminated in some sort perceived disaster in the executive office (the only one control by a liberal) today.  I'm just wondering what it could possibly be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2015, 04:34:41 PM
I can't think of any significant new spending program that Kennedy created.  Probably his most significant domestic policy was cutting wartime tax rates.

What about the Apollo program, or was that already in place?

Razgovory

Well there was also the Peace Corps.  Also there was a whole bunch of stuff under the "New Frontier" initiates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

QuoteWhy is this? Because liberalism is not built on the world the way that it is, but the way liberals think it should be. This is why all their programs fail, and all their "facts" are wrong, and this is why liberals go around looking as if they have just bitten down on a lemon. They are constantly being insulted by, being surprised by, being taken aback by...reality. They build papier-mâché worlds, but the truth keeps crashing through their walls.

I suppose if people accept this as factual then they will also think Trump would make a good president.  Both mean that the liberal goal of a well educated society has indeed failed.