News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Christmas 2015 Steam Meltdown Megathread

Started by Tamas, December 25, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/25/steam-is-going-haywire-people-can-access-others-accounts/

I have only seen the Store in weird random languages before it was shut down, but apparently people have found themselves logged in with other people's accounts with full access to them!

I suggest you check your Paypal logs and credit/debit card logs later if you had those saved. I'd suggest you remove Steam's pre-authorisation rights on your Paypal account as well but since the store is down already, it seems moot.

Wow I feel sorry for the all the tech support guys at Valve. This sounds like some major screwup.

celedhring

When I tried to get in earlier the store was in Russian, but I was inside my account. Apparently people found themselves logged to other people's accounts.

Anyway, I have no credit card info stored there, and my paypal is locked behind a two-step authorization. So I should be fine.

DGuller

Doesn't surprise me at all.  Steam has been a steaming pile of shit since forever.  And for some reason it's very often constantly using one core of my CPU, which is very suspicious and/or another sign of the shittiness of the software.

sbr

I don't know nearly enough about the technical side of this to do more than parrot information I saw elsewhere, but this appears to have been a caching issue.  No one was actually logged in as anyone else, they just had other people's profile pages and information appearing to them.

This could have led to people's billing addresses, email addresses, Steam Wallet balances, phone numbers and the last 2 digits of saved credit card info becoming public, but not much more than that.

Martinus

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on December 26, 2015, 03:28:56 AM
It seems fine to me.

The problem was fixed relatively quickly, so yeah everything should be fine by now.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Coincidentally, my ADP payroll site is down right now.  :hmm:

celedhring

If Steam is a pile of shit, I don't know what Origin or UPlay are.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.