Tajikistan declares total war on Christmas (and New Year's)

Started by Syt, December 23, 2015, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It says they're banning Christmas and New Year's because they threaten Islam.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2015, 04:17:13 PM
It says they're banning Christmas and New Year's because they threaten Islam.

It does? I must have missed that.  If someone could show me the relevant passage in the article, I would be obliged.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 04:35:58 PM
It does? I must have missed that.  If someone could show me the relevant passage in the article, I would be obliged.

Woops.  That's from the Somalia article.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2015, 04:31:25 PM
Raz: cryptomuslim??

He is the protector of the faith. He would be singing a different tune if a European State was banning Islamic festivals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2015, 04:02:42 PM
Good, that's a start. Religion is a stain on humanity.

New Years is a religion? Is Dick Clark a prophet? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2015, 04:31:25 PM
Raz: cryptomuslim??

He is the protector of the faith. He would be singing a different tune if a European State was banning Islamic festivals.

All I have posted in this thread is "It doesn't say they are." and "It does? I must have missed that.  If someone could show me the relevant passage in the article, I would be obliged."  What sort of tune is that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 05:34:11 PM
All I have posted in this thread is "It doesn't say they are." and "It does? I must have missed that.  If someone could show me the relevant passage in the article, I would be obliged."  What sort of tune is that?

The tune that would be less quick to give the Front National the benefit of the doubt :P

Anyway this is nativism nationalistic douchebaggery and if it has religious components that is purely coincidental.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2015, 02:51:09 PM

And of course there's an unrecognized government in Puntland as well.

Reggie Roby must be their king.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 11:18:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 05:34:11 PM

The tune that would be less quick to give the Front National the benefit of the doubt :P

Anyway this is nativism nationalistic douchebaggery and if it has religious components that is purely coincidental.

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.  It is nativist nationalist douchebaggery, I just didn't extrapolate "Islamist!" from it.  New Years is the big give away.  New Years is a huge thing with Russians, it's like their Christmas, the gift-giving holiday.  Tajikistan is a pretty strongly secular state, most people are Muslims but there are restrictions on them as well.  What it looks like is the state is coming down on unpopular religious minorities (Christians).  This pretty much is equivalent of some Euro-land state cracking down on a Muslim (or Jewish!) practice.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Reggie Roby.

We've been through this before. Ray Guy is considered "the man" and got into the hall of fame because he was a good punter but also played on a really good team in an era when it was the good teams that got on TV and all the media attention. Ie, he got the hype.

Reggie Roby: yards per punt: 43.3, net yards per punt: 40.4 (edit: wikipedia says net yardage was just 34.0, but still better than Guy)
Ray Guy: yards per punt: 42.4, net yards per punt: 33.8

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/6597/reggie-roby
http://rayguy.net/portfolio/ray-guy-stats/
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014