And we're back!

Main Menu

It's the clock kid all over again.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2015, 11:33:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 22, 2015, 06:11:10 PM
I don't know about the other events, but here you have a national news story where the parents are publicly complaining they weren't contacted.  The PD gave extensive statements to the press, so it looks odd from them not to mention that parents are mistaken about that too.  Unless of course it is true.  The DMN article makes a specific point of saying school officials claim they tried to contact.  So either the press has it in the PD, or the PD is getting an F in basic press relations, or - most likely - they screwed up.

Question for you, MM: given that the principal is acting in loco parentis (and, no, Seedy, that doesn't translate as "the people, they called parentis, go to the location"), aren't they liable for not acting in the child's best interests by at least sending a rep with the kid to the lockup? I can't imagine a school principal sending a kid to the hospital, for instance, and not sending someone along.  One of the reasons why school authorities have so much authority over students is precisely because the principal is ilp.  That has obligations, as well as powers.

I can't speak to police arrest situations, but I have twice ridden in ambulances because I had to as the school's rep ilp.  Isn't that a general rule inherent in the ilp status?

Perhaps that may be more of a thing for private schools vs. public schools (I thought I recall you worked for a private school?)...and the public see themselves and the police as "one big happy civic authority family", and don't see the need for it...even if it is a rather good idea.

dps

the principal is acting in loco parentis (and, no, Seedy, that doesn't translate as "the people, they called parentis, go to the location")

Most teachers and school administrators that I've know wouldn't know what in loco parentis means, and a lot of them would guess it means "parents are crazy".  Which is how a lot of educational professionals view parents anyway, often with good reason.

11B4V

Damn, we still arguing that the cops chucked this up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 22, 2015, 11:40:05 PM
Perhaps that may be more of a thing for private schools vs. public schools (I thought I recall you worked for a private school?)...and the public see themselves and the police as "one big happy civic authority family", and don't see the need for it...even if it is a rather good idea.
It was a thing when I taught in public schools as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2015, 12:04:47 AM
Most teachers and school administrators that I've know wouldn't know what in loco parentis means, and a lot of them would guess it means "parents are crazy".  Which is how a lot of educational professionals view parents anyway, often with good reason.

I can't speak for the  teachers and school administrators that you've known, but they must be real morons not to understand what in loco parentis means.  That's like military or naval personnel not knowing what "UCMJ" means.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Question for you, MM: given that the principal is acting in loco parentis (and, no, Seedy, that doesn't translate as "the people, they called parentis, go to the location"), aren't they liable for not acting in the child's best interests by at least sending a rep with the kid to the lockup?

Probably not.  The doctrine has developed in a way to justify school control, without really enhancing school responsibility.  So ILP has been invoked to permit intrusive searches or seizures, or drug testing, etc.  But if a kid is harmed it doesn't tend to be applied to raise the standard of care beyond usual negligence principles.  Of course this all varies state to state.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 05:03:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2015, 05:02:15 PM
Gotta side with the Salt and the Jew.  There seems to be multiple fuck ups from the police here.  They know better then to interrogate a 12 year old with out parents on hand.  Even Texans know that.  When I was in high school we had bomb threats once a week for couple months.  Hell, kids in my middle school set off actual explosives in the bathroom.  They got off with a "boys will be boys".

WHile I definitely agree you don't detain a 12 year old for 3 days without parental notification, I disagree you can chalk up bomb threats to "boys will be boys".  Not these days.  Things have changed since you were in high school Raz.

A good friend of mine in high school went to KU on a scholarship.

Super bright guy.

While there, him and a friend were apparently annoyed at the KU police parking ticket guy. So they thought it would be a good idea to build themselves a pipe bomb and blow up the little cart thing, you know, to make a point.

This did not end well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2015, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 05:03:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2015, 05:02:15 PM
Gotta side with the Salt and the Jew.  There seems to be multiple fuck ups from the police here.  They know better then to interrogate a 12 year old with out parents on hand.  Even Texans know that.  When I was in high school we had bomb threats once a week for couple months.  Hell, kids in my middle school set off actual explosives in the bathroom.  They got off with a "boys will be boys".

WHile I definitely agree you don't detain a 12 year old for 3 days without parental notification, I disagree you can chalk up bomb threats to "boys will be boys".  Not these days.  Things have changed since you were in high school Raz.

A good friend of mine in high school went to KU on a scholarship.

Super bright guy.

While there, him and a friend were apparently annoyed at the KU police parking ticket guy. So they thought it would be a good idea to build themselves a pipe bomb and blow up the little cart thing, you know, to make a point.

This did not end well.
:huh: :lol: :huh:

dps

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2015, 12:53:45 AM
Quote from: dps on December 23, 2015, 12:04:47 AM

I can't speak for the  teachers and school administrators that you've known, but they must be real morons not to understand what in loco parentis means.  That's like military or naval personnel not knowing what "UCMJ" means.

They understood the doctrine (though see Minsky's post on how it often works in practice), but many of them wouldn't get the Latin--a lot of them were young enough that even at the time they were students, Latin was no longer required of all students.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2015, 05:26:55 PM
They understood the doctrine (though see Minsky's post on how it often works in practice), but many of them wouldn't get the Latin--a lot of them were young enough that even at the time they were students, Latin was no longer required of all students.

It is a term of art in the legal and educational business.  It's like knowing what "et cetera" means without even realizing that it is Latin. 

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2015, 06:09:15 PM

It is a term of art in the legal and educational business.  It's like knowing what "et cetera" means without even realizing that it is Latin.

Whatever will be, will be...?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on December 24, 2015, 03:20:50 AM

That's "que pasa".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2015, 05:00:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 24, 2015, 03:20:50 AM

That's "que pasa".

Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be.

Que pasa is similar meaning, but present tense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Martinus