News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's the clock kid all over again.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Do they ever tell you "Canada is most lovely country, but we are being very cold all the time?"

grumbler

My experience has also been that, if one uses the term "Asian," people assume that you mean East Asian.

There are a lot of South Asians living around here, as well, but I almost never hear the term (though I use it in teaching).  I think the word "Indian" is used in its stead, and those of South Asian extraction, of course, use their own national terms.

Indonesia is Southeast Asia.  You do hear that term a lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

The trouble with "Indian" is not only that lots of so-called Indians don't actually come from India, but we still have a fairly decent-sized aboriginal population as well.

Mrs B's and I's favourite Indian restaurant is simply called New Asian Village.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2015, 03:10:19 PM
A minor beef I have with "South Asian" (which I agree is a useful aggregator) is that Indonesia and those other guys reach further south. 

At least i think they do.

But yeah, average American hears "Asian" and they think of East Asians.

That is South East Asian  :smarty:

I haven't heard the term East Asian before.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2015, 04:52:45 PM
Do they ever tell you "Canada is most lovely country, but we are being very cold all the time?"

No.  But then again I live in Vancouver.  I assume a lot of people say that in the North East US though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2015, 02:46:56 PM
So, Raz has been proven a fool again? :D

Oh, I hath been cut to the quick!  When Yi said school I thought of k-12, how foolish of me.  Will no one rid me of this turbulent Pole?  Pray that the lord God bring a blight on his potatoes so that he may be robbed of sustenance, and starchy companionship.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 21, 2015, 04:59:12 PM
My experience has also been that, if one uses the term "Asian," people assume that you mean East Asian.

There are a lot of South Asians living around here, as well, but I almost never hear the term (though I use it in teaching).  I think the word "Indian" is used in its stead, and those of South Asian extraction, of course, use their own national terms.

It's a difference between Britons and Americans.  Britons think of the people they used to own.  Americans think of the people they nuked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2015, 05:06:01 PM
The trouble with "Indian" is not only that lots of so-called Indians don't actually come from India, but we still have a fairly decent-sized aboriginal population as well.

Mrs B's and I's favourite Indian restaurant is simply called New Asian Village.

Yeah, that's the problem with Indian (except around here; Virginia has no recognized Amerind tribes).  And, around here, any restaurant with "Asian" in its title is guaranteed to be bad.  Unlike there, the ones with those titles around here try to make all the popular Asian cuisines, and, as you can imagine, no staff can do justice to them all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I can't recall seeing any restaurants with "Asian" in the name. "Chinese", "Thai", "Indian" etc are all pretty common though.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2015, 06:36:19 PM
I can't recall seeing any restaurants with "Asian" in the name. "Chinese", "Thai", "Indian" etc are all pretty common though.  :hmm:

Come to central Virginia.

Or don't.

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on December 21, 2015, 04:59:12 PM

Easier just to say Apu for people from India and Injun for our savages. Helps with the confusion. Dothead works to.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2015, 05:59:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2015, 02:46:56 PM
So, Raz has been proven a fool again? :D

Oh, I hath been cut to the quick!  When Yi said school I thought of k-12, how foolish of me.  Will no one rid me of this turbulent Pole?  Pray that the lord God bring a blight on his potatoes so that he may be robbed of sustenance, and starchy companionship.

I laughed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 21, 2015, 09:52:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 21, 2015, 06:30:40 PM
Virginia has no recognized Amerind tribes

Might want to double check that.

Interesting.  Virginia has had a recognized tribe for almost 80 days, and I didn't know.  Good catch!

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Bully takes advantage of police incompetence to fuck with people? Sounds like that SWATing deal from the other thread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."