News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's the clock kid all over again.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ender on December 20, 2015, 09:33:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM
Yay Texas!  :rolleyes:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/its_the_clock_kid_all_over_again_a_12_year_old_sikh_boy_is_the_latest_victim_of_racist_terrorism_paranoia/
Cut and paste.
It is not that hard.
Do you need a walk through?

Given the number of articles I've done that for over the years,  do you even have to ask?

It's just a lot harder to do on a phone.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2015, 10:16:30 PM

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/its_the_clock_kid_all_over_again_a_12_year_old_sikh_boy_is_the_latest_victim_of_racist_terrorism_paranoia/
Cut and paste.
It is not that hard.

Given the number of articles I've done that for over the years,  do you even have to ask?

I'm sorta curious why you went with the derivative Salon article rather than the WaPo article they themselves used as the source.  Didn't anyone teach you, even in college, that derivative sources are almost always inferior to the original, unless the original is technical or in another language?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

When people are questioned by police all their character traits manifest themselves.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2015, 10:51:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2015, 10:16:30 PM

Cut and paste.
It is not that hard.

I'm sorta curious why you went with the derivative Salon article rather than the WaPo article they themselves used as the source.  Didn't anyone teach you, even in college, that derivative sources are almost always inferior to the original, unless the original is technical or in another language?

I went with the Salon article, because that's the article that was posted on another forum I was reading. Since I was on my way to school on the bus, I didn't have time to look up another article.

Also, the
Quoteper a report in the Washington Post
link doesn't actually link to WaPo article, but to some local newspaper.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Bullying?  Attacking religious minorities?  Marty should be happy.  Clearly anyone who would dare defend this 12 year kid is an out of control Social Justice Warrior.

Gotta love being attacked by a nutbar before I even post in the thread. That's like preemptive stalking.  :lol:

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2015, 08:44:58 PM
Principals get paid a fuckton of money to be the responsible adult in the building.  It doesn't sound like Texas has a lot of those.

There is too much liability in being a responsible adult these days.  :sleep:

Brazen

Brazen

I see, the direct terrorism threat, at least as reported by the "bully" is made clearer in this Torygraph article:
QuoteA 12-year-old Sikh boy spent three days in a juvenile detention centre after a 'bully' allegedly told teachers he had a bomb hidden in his school bag.

Armaan Singh Sarai of Arlington, Texas, was locked up on Friday, according to a Facebook post by his cousin Ginee Haer, which at time of writing has been shared 7,000 times.

"On Friday, December 11th, 2015," the post says, "my cousin attended school, like any other normal 12 year old child. A bully in class thought it would be funny to accuse him of having a bomb, and so the principal, without any questioning, interrogation, or notification to his parents, called the police. Worried & frightened at home, his family was concerned as to why he had not reached home right after school. They started calling every police department in the area, only to find out he was sent to a Juvenile facility. They kept him held behind bars for three consecutive days, before finally releasing him on Monday, December 15th."

However, Arlington police gave a different account. Spokesman Lt. Christopher Cook confirmed to the Dallas Morning News that officers had attended Nichols Junior High School on Friday afternoon after a student told a teacher he'd heard Armaan saying he was "planning to blow up the school," apparently saying his backpack contained a bomb and he was going to place it in a school toilet.

After his classroom was evacuated and his backpack searched, the boy admitted he had mentioned a bomb and insisted that he was joking, but was nevertheless taken to the county's juvenile detention center.

"People have got to learn they cannot make these types of threats which cause alarm, which cause evacuations," Cook said. "Just because you say it's a joke, it doesn't get you out of trouble."

Aksh Singh, Armaan's brother, posted a screen capture on Facebook of a letter addressed to school principal Julie Harcrow in which he writes:
"My little brother Armaan ... was taken from school to Kimbo Juvenile center because he AND other students were joking about bomb threats. I know we live in a time when such an accusation is serious, but this is outrageous and I demand a justified reason for why a 12 year old INDIAN boy was taken into police custody and sent to jail."

The letter also says Armaan's sister had visited the school to find out where her brother was, and that the principal had said she 'had no idea.' Aksh questions why a teacher would have called the police on Armaan instead of sending him to the principal's office, adding: "I want to let you know I will be taking this seriously because of the grief this has caused my whole family."

A spokesperson for the Arlington school district said "we did try to contact the parents Friday afternoon, and they were aware" Armaan had been taken to a juvenile detention center, adding: "We would love to fully respond to the parents' allegations," but is unable to due to privacy legislation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12057019/Child-sent-to-juvenile-detention-centre-after-bully-told-teacher-he-had-a-bomb.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:37:43 PM
It appears he was also questioned by police without parents present (and if no parents than probably also without lawyers)? Is that standard procedure in cases of suspected terrorism?

It's standard if the authorities are complete screw-ups, so yes it probably is standard in this jurisdiction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2015, 08:50:34 AM
I see, the direct terrorism threat, at least as reported by the "bully" is made clearer in this Torygraph article:
QuoteA 12-year-old Sikh boy spent three days in a juvenile detention centre after a 'bully' allegedly told teachers he had a bomb hidden in his school bag.

Armaan Singh Sarai of Arlington, Texas, was locked up on Friday, according to a Facebook post by his cousin Ginee Haer, which at time of writing has been shared 7,000 times.

"On Friday, December 11th, 2015," the post says, "my cousin attended school, like any other normal 12 year old child. A bully in class thought it would be funny to accuse him of having a bomb, and so the principal, without any questioning, interrogation, or notification to his parents, called the police. Worried & frightened at home, his family was concerned as to why he had not reached home right after school. They started calling every police department in the area, only to find out he was sent to a Juvenile facility. They kept him held behind bars for three consecutive days, before finally releasing him on Monday, December 15th."

However, Arlington police gave a different account. Spokesman Lt. Christopher Cook confirmed to the Dallas Morning News that officers had attended Nichols Junior High School on Friday afternoon after a student told a teacher he'd heard Armaan saying he was "planning to blow up the school," apparently saying his backpack contained a bomb and he was going to place it in a school toilet.

After his classroom was evacuated and his backpack searched, the boy admitted he had mentioned a bomb and insisted that he was joking, but was nevertheless taken to the county's juvenile detention center.

"People have got to learn they cannot make these types of threats which cause alarm, which cause evacuations," Cook said. "Just because you say it's a joke, it doesn't get you out of trouble."

Aksh Singh, Armaan's brother, posted a screen capture on Facebook of a letter addressed to school principal Julie Harcrow in which he writes:
"My little brother Armaan ... was taken from school to Kimbo Juvenile center because he AND other students were joking about bomb threats. I know we live in a time when such an accusation is serious, but this is outrageous and I demand a justified reason for why a 12 year old INDIAN boy was taken into police custody and sent to jail."

The letter also says Armaan's sister had visited the school to find out where her brother was, and that the principal had said she 'had no idea.' Aksh questions why a teacher would have called the police on Armaan instead of sending him to the principal's office, adding: "I want to let you know I will be taking this seriously because of the grief this has caused my whole family."

A spokesperson for the Arlington school district said "we did try to contact the parents Friday afternoon, and they were aware" Armaan had been taken to a juvenile detention center, adding: "We would love to fully respond to the parents' allegations," but is unable to due to privacy legislation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12057019/Child-sent-to-juvenile-detention-centre-after-bully-told-teacher-he-had-a-bomb.html

Ok, it is an over-reaction but not as insane as originally presented.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2015, 02:03:04 AM
Bullying?  Attacking religious minorities?  Marty should be happy.  Clearly anyone who would dare defend this 12 year kid is an out of control Social Justice Warrior.

Gotta love being attacked by a nutbar before I even post in the thread. That's like preemptive stalking.  :lol:

No, you see stalking is when you send PMs demanding people kill themselves.  I don't do things like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2015, 10:34:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2015, 02:03:04 AM

No, you see stalking is when you send PMs demanding people kill themselves.  I don't do things like that.

:lol:

Well played