News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's the clock kid all over again.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

QuoteBut, like Armaan, Veerender has a goofy sense of humor and loves to play video games,

So the kid said some dumb shit.  When cops ask you if you have a bomb, it's not a good idea to say dumb shit.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 05:22:37 PM
QuoteBut, like Armaan, Veerender has a goofy sense of humor and loves to play video games,

So the kid said some dumb shit.  When cops ask you if you have a bomb, it's not a good idea to say dumb shit.

There is no evidence the cops ever asked him if he had a bomb.  There is no evidence anyone ever thought he had a bomb.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 05:22:37 PM

Where is there any evidence anyone said any dumb shit aside from the bully?  :wacko:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

The impression I get from the (longer) article linked in the piece Tim linked (http://www.cantonrep.com/article/ZZ/20151218/SHAREABLE/151219931/1994/NEWS?rssfeed=true) seems to imply that one kid said the power backpack looked like a bomb, they both laughed about it, and then that kid went to the teachers saying the guy has a bomb.

Quote"The police came in and they grabbed me and they just took me outside in the hallway, made me wait, and then our class was getting out, then they took me to the police officer's office," he told the Morning News. "Then they talked to me and asked me questions. Then they took me to the department of the police, then the juvenile center.
"I was really scared, really nervous," he added.

Doesn't sound like he was joking about it to the police.

It appears he was also questioned by police without parents present (and if no parents than probably also without lawyers)? Is that standard procedure in cases of suspected terrorism?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2015, 05:34:19 PM
Where is there any evidence anyone said any dumb shit aside from the bully?  :wacko:

In the passage I quoted. People often post comments after quotations to indicate a connection between the two. :wacko:

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 05:40:14 PM

In the passage I quoted. People often post comments after quotations to indicate a connection between the two. :wacko:

I took that to mean general character traits, and it doesn't follow that he was joking to the cops. You can have a goofy sense of humor and still be respectful when an armed cop asks you questions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:41:44 PM
I took that to mean general character traits, and it doesn't follow that he was joking to the cops. You can have a goofy sense of humor and still be respectful when an armed cop asks you questions.

You can definitely have a goofy sense of humor and be unjustly accused by a bigoted police force for no reason whatsoever, but then why would an obviously polemical blogpost bother to mention it?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 05:44:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:41:44 PM

You can definitely have a goofy sense of humor and be unjustly accused by a bigoted police force for no reason whatsoever, but then why would an obviously polemical blogpost bother to mention it?

To show that they're geeky nerds who are not a threat to anyone?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Bullying?  Attacking religious minorities?  Marty should be happy.  Clearly anyone who would dare defend this 12 year kid is an out of control Social Justice Warrior.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:49:25 PM

Then you don't start the sentence I quoted with a "but."

The but signifies the writer is introducing the counter-argument in order to dismiss it.

dps

Assuming that what's in the story in the link is accurate (always problematic when dealing with the media), the principal probably did the right thing in calling the police.  Even if you think it's highly unlikely that he has a bomb, you don't want to confront him yourself:  "Do you have a bomb in your backpack?"  "Yep"  BOOM!.  Not exactly a good outcome.

OTOH, once the police got there, if it they couldn't very quickly determine that there was no bomb, they're completely incompetent, and probably couldn't have handled the situation if there had been a bomb anyway.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 05:40:14 PM

Wow.  You really, truly believe that "Veerender has a goofy sense of humor and loves to play video games" means that "the kid said some dumb shit?"  I don't think anybody who is at all smart would conclude that there is "a connection between the two" statements.  "Said" clearly implies something verbal, whereas "has" clearly does nothing of the sort.

But, I suppose if you really want to draw a conclusion in the absence facts and be arrogant about it, you have to invent "connections" like these.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 06:55:16 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:49:25 PM

Then you don't start the sentence I quoted with a "but."

The but signifies the writer is introducing the counter-argument in order to dismiss it.

Yes, the argument that is being countered is "he is a Canadian."

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 20, 2015, 07:41:22 PM
Assuming that what's in the story in the link is accurate (always problematic when dealing with the media), the principal probably did the right thing in calling the police.  Even if you think it's highly unlikely that he has a bomb, you don't want to confront him yourself:  "Do you have a bomb in your backpack?"  "Yep"  BOOM!.  Not exactly a good outcome.

OTOH, once the police got there, if it they couldn't very quickly determine that there was no bomb, they're completely incompetent, and probably couldn't have handled the situation if there had been a bomb anyway.

But the principal should have investigated before he called the police.  The kid isn't wearing his backpack in class, so it is easy to separate him and the backpack without him being any the wiser.  If he remains in doubt (and after telling the false accuser that he will be prosecuted if he is lying, so as to give him a chance to back out f this before he makes it a criminal offense), then he could call the cops.

Principals get paid a fuckton of money to be the responsible adult in the building.  It doesn't sound like Texas has a lot of those.

Bayraktar!