Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Fuck, I hope that's right.

Also "Jedi" not "Jedis", unless you also say moosen.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Trailer looked ok. Lando is fucking old. Hopefully it can rescue the franchise from Johnson's clusterfuck.

Syt

There was wreckage of the Death Star in the trailer. So I'm guessing we're going to either Endor or Yavin IV. Though with the Emperor in the picture we might be on Endor. Then again, Yavin IV had those temples ...

And what would they want from the debris? Kyber crystals?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

I'm guessing Tattoine for the desert scenes and Endor at the end, probably to defeat a resurgent Emperor. I guess the galaxy is a pretty small place after all.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2019, 12:43:17 PM
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Trailer is out today.

So does that mean that Rey really is a Skywalker?  It looks like Kylo Ren rebuilds his mask.  Is that the Emperor we hear cackling at the end?

So is JJ Abrams just going to reverse all the narrative changes that Johnson made in 8?

Kylo Ren is a Skywalker too.

Not a fan about the Emperor showing up. It seems lazy.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on April 12, 2019, 03:42:48 PM
Trailer looked ok. Lando is fucking old. Hopefully it can rescue the franchise from Johnson's clusterfuck.

Billy Dee Williams is 82.  He is fucking old.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2019, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2019, 12:43:17 PM
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Trailer is out today.

So does that mean that Rey really is a Skywalker?  It looks like Kylo Ren rebuilds his mask.  Is that the Emperor we hear cackling at the end?

So is JJ Abrams just going to reverse all the narrative changes that Johnson made in 8?

Kylo Ren is a Skywalker too.

Twice now they've swerved on whether Ren can be "saved": first with his father, then again with Rey.  Doing it a third time just wouldn't seem right.

celedhring

If they want to give closure to the story, he's headed to a redemption of some kind.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2019, 04:02:29 PM
If they want to give closure to the story, he's headed to a redemption of some kind.

You're the screenwriter, but why does his end have to be redemption?  Luke may have given him the final push to the dark side, but it's clear now that he has chosen his path.

In fact why does there have to be an "end" at all?  I know this is the end of this trilogy, but Disney will want to re-visit Star Wars again, so why kill off one of your most interesting current characters?

Zoupa

celedhring

I honestly can't think of another way - the main dramatic thrust has been Kylo and Rey's relationship, and they won't finish the trilogy without a payoff for it. And evil has to be defeated etcetera.

I think Disney spent all the "we're going to be cute with dramatic clichés" allowance in the middle film, and this is going to be really safe.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on April 12, 2019, 04:19:52 PM
I doubt Adam Driver wants to do any more of this crap.

Why?  He seems to be doing reasonably well in his movie career besides Star Wars (unlike Daisey Ridley who *checks google* has really only done voice work and only one movie outside of Star Wars).  Driver seems like he's having fun with the role.  Give it a break of a few years and why wouldn't he want to return (plus get another mountain of cash thrown at him)?