Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

"To push an agenda of masculine inferiority". So it's from some men's rights nutjobs, can safely disregard the whole thing then.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 27, 2018, 12:34:58 PM
"To push an agenda of masculine inferiority". So it's from some men's rights nutjobs, can safely disregard the whole thing then.

They state they are doing so in the name and authority of the "free market of the world" and deny that they are just a bunch of fat, white alt-right nutbars.  So safe to say the are a bunch of fat, white, alt-right nutbars.

Barrister

I'm not exactly sure what direction they thought the new movies were going to go with the old characters - the actors are well in to their 60s and 70s by now.  Obviously they're going to use the old characters to launch new ones so they can keep this whole thing going another 40 years.

Solo dying by his son's hand was powerful - and very effective in getting Kylo Ren over as a bad guy.

As for Luke - while he may have started as a crotchety old man his character did grow and he DID save his sister.  If anything his passing was over-sold - what with him sitting on that rock up against twin sons, obviously echoing the first time we saw him in Ep 4.

And Leia - I thought the scene of her saving herself from space using the force was very effective as it was finally pay off for her being Luke's sister and powerful in the force in her own right.  And while obviously they won't be able to give her an effective send-off, that has nothing to do with Disney and everything to do with Carrie Fisher's death.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I know you inexplicably like those crap movies BB but that is not really the point here. These guys may or may not be right about the how the characters were used but they are clearly nutballs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2018, 12:45:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 27, 2018, 12:34:58 PM

They state they are doing so in the name and authority of the "free market of the world" and deny that they are just a bunch of fat, white alt-right nutbars.  So safe to say the are a bunch of fat, white, alt-right nutbars.

Oh trust me, they have plenty of nutters of other races. If this kind of insanity were reserved to fat, white people things would be much better in this country.

Syt

I did notice a lot of toxicity from "real fans" of the movies against the new installments, especially VIII (which I thought was quite ok and fun to watch, but not great).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2018, 01:21:11 PM
I did notice a lot of toxicity from "real fans" of the movies against the new installments, especially VIII (which I thought was quite ok and fun to watch, but not great).

It has been rather hard not to notice. If anybody has ruined Star Wars it is those assholes.

The Minsky Moment

Amusing to see these crazies run to the defense of Lucas, when he was responsible for the entire prequel triology.

If they really were concerned about masculine inferiority, take aim at the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker as a shallow, whiney brat.

How can you say a single bad word about any other SW movie while exonerating the man who give us Jar-Jar.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2018, 04:29:55 PM
How can you say a single bad word about any other SW movie while exonerating the man who give us Jar-Jar.

I should have made that my new signature line quote  :Embarrass:

Valmy

Amusing to see these crazies run to the defense of Lucas, when he was responsible for the entire prequel triology.

If they really were concerned about masculine inferiority, take aim at the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker as a shallow, whiney brat.

Yeah I thought they hated Lucas for ruining Star Wars. There was even a movie about it.

So confused.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2018, 05:47:02 PM
Yeah I thought they hated Lucas for ruining Star Wars. There was even a movie about it.

So confused.
I think it is nostalgia plus the concept of Lucas at least buying them a nice dinner (original trilogy) before throwing shit at them (the prequels) as opposed to Disney who many view as skipping the dinner and just throwing shit.  I don't necessarily agree, but I know a lot of people who have gone full rage on the franchise/Disney.  I also think the inundation of Star Wars now has just worn people out.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2018, 05:47:02 PM

So confused.

A lot of it is idiotic alt-right "incels" angry at a world they think is victimizing them, so launching a culture war about Star Wars of all places is actually not all that surprising.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I wish those incels would just go to a brothel and stop sublimating their frustration into internet rage.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?