News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Know Your Customer

Started by Berkut, December 11, 2015, 02:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So the new job I have is at a bank, as a technology system grunt.

One thing I've found very interesting is how much the bank has to spend on technology for compliance with various Fed (and state) mandates.

One of the areas that is huge is the KYC concept - Know Your Customer. The bank is obligated to do considerable diligence in knowing the background of anyone they engage in financial transactions with - this has obvious reasons for a variety of legal, policy, and even self-interested reasons. One of the things that the government is very interested in of course is not just what a given financial entity does, but who they do it WITH, and who THEY do things with, etc., etc.

However, one thing that struck me is HOW a lot of third party vendors help fulfill this - we can go and get background reports on individuals and companies that go through all the expected and normal channels. Credit reports, business news, background checks, etc., etc.

But there is quite a bit more out there being done these days. For example, we can get a report on an individual and who they are connected to in social media, whether that be Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc., And who THEY are connected with. And who THEY are connected with.

This is all public domain knowledge, of course. But it struck me that decisions can be made, important decisions about how entities are funded (or not), and the risk ratings associated to them, or even whether or not we can legally do business with them, based in part on who they are connected to via social media, and where those connections lead...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

If you have nothing to hide you're OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2015, 02:28:48 PM
If you have nothing to hide, and nobody you connect with has anything to hide, and nobody they connect with has anything to hide, and nobody....you're OK.

FYP
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

... and now you are connected to this sorry lot here.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Languish isn't social media. It's antisocial media.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
Languish isn't social media. It's antisocial media.

This asshole states the truth.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2015, 02:34:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2015, 02:28:48 PM
If you have nothing to hide, and nobody you connect with has anything to hide, and nobody they connect with has anything to hide, and nobody....you're OK.

FYP

Birds of a feather flock together.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

It's a broader question - at what point data gathering becomes discrimination.

I mean, I can with almost 99% certainty predict that someone is a gay male by looking at their Facebook profile for example. I assume other "sensitive" personal data can be determined in a similar way.

Martinus

Josquius

It's just the start.
Big data is the wave of the future for HR. There are systems under development that trawl the Web finding everything they can about you and from that deducing whether you're fit for promotion, overseas transfer, etc....
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2015, 07:18:18 PM
It's just the start.
Big data is the wave of the future for HR. There are systems under development that trawl the Web finding everything they can about you and from that deducing whether you're fit for promotion, overseas transfer, etc....

It's a "make sure the poor stay poor" system.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jaron

Sorry, Martinus. I had to unfriend you.

I can't be associated with someone with as questionable online activities as you.
Winner of THE grumbler point.