News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

On susceptibilty to Conspiracy Theories

Started by Jacob, December 11, 2015, 12:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting article on susceptibility to conspiracy theories, plotted against political leanings in the US: http://www.vox.com/2015/12/10/9886222/conspiracy-theories-right-wing.

They looked at two factors, trust in the political system and level of knowledge of current affairs (their term, though the definition they use seems to be better represented by "level of engagement" in my view). Their hypothesis was that lower trust in the system tended towards susceptibility to conspiracy theories, while higher levels of knowledge would mitigate such susceptibility.

That hypothesis held up when looking at Americans with views on the Liberal end of the spectrum. However, on the Conservative end level of knowledge appeared to have no effect among those with high levels of trust in the system - i.e. susceptibility didn't change however much or little they stayed informed. However amongst low trust Conservatives, susceptibility actually increased with the level of information.

mongers

Jacob, interesting, though I tend to use belief in conspiracy theories as a handy gauge against which to measure how much I want to interact with the person and at what level.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2015, 01:11:55 PM
Jacob, interesting, though I tend to use belief in conspiracy theories as a handy gauge against which to measure how much I want to interact with the person and at what level.

You conspire not to interact with them?  :hmm:

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2015, 01:11:55 PM

You conspire not to interact with them?  :hmm:

:P

:D

No, I'll be explicit and explain to them why I'm 'backing away'.  :)

mongers

The Brain

Sometimes they actually ARE sending you East to be eliminated. Better safe than sorry.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2015, 12:56:20 PM
Interesting article on susceptibility to conspiracy theories, plotted against political leanings in the US: http://www.vox.com/2015/12/10/9886222/conspiracy-theories-right-wing.

They looked at two factors, trust in the political system and level of knowledge of current affairs (their term, though the definition they use seems to be better represented by "level of engagement" in my view). Their hypothesis was that lower trust in the system tended towards susceptibility to conspiracy theories, while higher levels of knowledge would mitigate such susceptibility.

That hypothesis held up when looking at Americans with views on the Liberal end of the spectrum. However, on the Conservative end level of knowledge appeared to have no effect among those with high levels of trust in the system - i.e. susceptibility didn't change however much or little they stayed informed. However amongst low trust Conservatives, susceptibility actually increased with the level of information.

Actually, you have it backwards on what they assumed about political knowledge going in, if the article is correct:
QuoteThey went into the study with two hypotheses:

1. All things being equal, knowledge — close engagement with partisan politics, consumption of political news — will tend to exacerbate the tendency to endorse conspiracy theories (CTs).

2. Trust in the political system will tend to mitigate this effect; those with high levels of trust will be less prone to accept CTs.

The hypothesis failed when examining the left, and was only partially true on the right (i.e. low trust and high knowledge behaved as expected, high-trust conservatives didn't become more conspiracy-minded as knowledge increased).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

People that believe in conspiracy theories are stupid.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on December 11, 2015, 02:09:21 PM
Like people who believe global warming is as fake as the moon landing because there's a vast scientific conspiracy?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

:hmm:

Quote from: Siege, 3 minutes ago
Trump will be the next President.
Americans are tired of the liberal agenda that is destroying this country.
The liberal control of academia, the educational system and the mainstream media has back fired and provoked a rebellion.

Don't believe the polls. Trump is far more ahead in reality than the polling companies claim.
The liberals are using polling to shape opinion.
Then the week before election they start to report the real numbers so it doesn't appear as if they were wrong in their polling data.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2015, 01:44:46 PM
Actually, you have it backwards on what they assumed about political knowledge going in, if the article is correct:

You're right  :blush:

grumbler

Ooops.  You let your mask slip there, kemosabe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2015, 03:31:37 PM

Ooops.  You let your mask slip there, kemosabe.

Still managed to catch a couple in the troll net though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson