News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

XCOM 2 is out, OK, THIS TIME FOR REAL

Started by Pedrito, December 10, 2015, 03:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

BTW, advanced stock equipped on grenadiers is just gold. A license to auto-shred armor.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Is it just me, or has this game totally failed the test of time?  It seemed great when it came out, but there is virtually no replay value to it.  You either wipe out or disable majority of enemies you encounter the turn you encounter them, or you're kind of fucked.  That gets one-dimensional after a while.

FunkMonk

Not really seeing that. I just booted it up a couple days ago after a long time of not playing and I had a blast just playing the gate crasher mission.

I have some mods enabled too. Maybe get some mods?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Are there any Long War type mods out there, except without the stupid piled on and on to make it tediously impossible to win?

Scipio

New mod, new busted junk. Fucking terrible buggy updates. Every time it updates, I have to validate my local files. Unfuckingbelievable.

And I have checked my hard drive thoroughly.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

And the two new expansion packs have totally busted open the game. Uggh. Super unbalanced.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I hope they're smarter about game balance this time.  They really lost the plot with the later betas of the original Long War, making the game essentially unplayable without a whole lot of save-scumming.

Syt

Haven't played LW1, but I seem to recall that it was built to have hard or impossible fights so that the player would have to make calls whether fights were winnable and retreat if they weren't. From what I've read and seen, this holds true for LW2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

I have not played XCOM 2 the amount of time I played XCOM so Long War 2, while intriguing will have to wait.
As for Long War 1 in Classic that was too much for me.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2017, 01:35:19 AM
Haven't played LW1, but I seem to recall that it was built to have hard or impossible fights so that the player would have to make calls whether fights were winnable and retreat if they weren't. From what I've read and seen, this holds true for LW2.
That was the theory.  You weren't going to win every fight, but that's fine, you can retreat or even lose a fight or two and recover to win.  In practice, in the later betas, doing anything other than winning every single fight would just snowball on you.

Syt

Had a look at the Long War 1 mod page. They recommend playing on Normal difficulty. Did you play on classic?
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2017, 08:07:26 AM
Had a look at the Long War 1 mod page. They recommend playing on Normal difficulty. Did you play on classic?
I played on the lowest difficulty I could.  It wasn't impossible, 95% of the time, but the bullshit was unavoidable the other 5% that would permanently cripple your campaign.  Therefore, I just couldn't play on Ironman, which already removes 75% of the enjoyment you get from the game.

Scipio

Long War 1 sucked, after a while.

This one looks a lot better.

-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2017, 08:07:26 AM

The last version of LW1, with many of the starting options pegged in your favor...especially the one that reduces the number of aliens on the tactical missions (which seems to take things from "ridiculous" to almost being "too easy"...it could probably benefit from a middle ground option)...and still using Ironman, is not too bad.