News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Trump?

Started by Jacob, December 07, 2015, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come the 2016 Presidential Elections in the US, where will Trump be?

Presidential Candidate for the Republican Party
18 (40.9%)
Presidential Candidate in an Independent/ Third Party run?
9 (20.5%)
Not a presidential candidate at all.
16 (36.4%)
Some other scenario...
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on December 09, 2015, 10:04:34 AM
They just seem very salty about Trump.

Like, OMG, I can't even, wow, JUST WOW salty.  :lol:

I think they are just frustrated they cannot seem to influence anybody. 'We will DESTROY Trump and secure glory for Mark Rubio!'

Lots of people do not read the mainstream press anymore, they have found their comfy little echo chamber.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Watch the facial expressions of Carol Costello on CNN and Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC when the Trump is on. Hilarious. The disgust oozes out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

I didn't want to start of a fourth thread about Trump.  But I think this puts a lot of focus on the failing of the news media.  Since the start of the 24 news channels (and perhaps some time before) news has become more about entertainment to fill content requirements.  And Trump as entertainment sells.  But where are the Edward R. Morrows who can effectively take on the demagogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvEmkMNYHY

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 11:32:15 AM
I didn't want to start of a fourth thread about Trump.  But I think this puts a lot of focus on the failing of the news media.  Since the start of the 24 news channels (and perhaps some time before) news has become more about entertainment to fill content requirements.  And Trump as entertainment sells.  But where are the Edward R. Morrows who can effectively take on the demagogue?

They are there but Trump's supporters would not listen, they have their own people to listen to. The media is fragmented and people drift to who they want to hear. So some courageous newsman sounding the alarm is going to get lost in the noise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 12:17:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 11:32:15 AM

They are there but Trump's supporters would not listen, they have their own people to listen to. The media is fragmented and people drift to who they want to hear. So some courageous newsman sounding the alarm is going to get lost in the noise.

Which is why I ask, where are the Edward R. Morrows of today.  There a none.  The media has been so widely discredited - and for good reason given their turn to entertainment as news - that there does not appear to be anyone left in American media with the gravitas of a Morrow.

MadImmortalMan

One of the dangers of democracy is once in a while a Cleon or Alcibiades will appear and take you on a damn fool crusade.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I thought an "opprobrium" was a type of pre-cambrian fossil.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Maybe he thinks his surname along is enough to win any argument.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:26:39 PM
Which is why I ask, where are the Edward R. Morrows of today.  There a none.  The media has been so widely discredited - and for good reason given their turn to entertainment as news - that there does not appear to be anyone left in American media with the gravitas of a Morrow.

There cannot be a modern Murrow because there is no modern oligopoly in the broadcast news business.  Murrow was a product of the news media of his day, as were his peers (Cronkite, Severeid, etc).  The Edward R. Murrows of today are out there, but you aren't listening to them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 07:33:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:26:39 PM

There cannot be a modern Murrow because there is no modern oligopoly in the broadcast news business.  Murrow was a product of the news media of his day, as were his peers (Cronkite, Severeid, etc).  The Edward R. Murrows of today are out there, but you aren't listening to them.

Ok, share with the class.  Who do you have in mind?

MadImmortalMan

He's got a point. News was nearly a monopoly back then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2015, 10:23:15 AM
Watch the facial expressions of Carol Costello on CNN and Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC when the Trump is on. Hilarious. The disgust oozes out.

I'd bang Mika.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 09, 2015, 08:41:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2015, 10:23:15 AM

I'd bang Mika.

You can have her. She's a cunt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 09, 2015, 08:31:23 PM
He's got a point. News was nearly a monopoly back then.

Yeah I was trying to explain that to CC earlier. Even if there was a Murrow, and I think there are, they will get lost in the noise. News is way too fragmented to have that sort of impact anymore.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock