News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Trump?

Started by Jacob, December 07, 2015, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come the 2016 Presidential Elections in the US, where will Trump be?

Presidential Candidate for the Republican Party
18 (40.9%)
Presidential Candidate in an Independent/ Third Party run?
9 (20.5%)
Not a presidential candidate at all.
16 (36.4%)
Some other scenario...
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Savonarola

Trump won't win the Republican nomination; his support among registered Republicans will dwindle after the first couple primaries.  He promised not to run as a third party candidate; but I'm not so sure.  He seems to be having an awful lot of fun with his candidacy.  I'm not sure he'll be willing to give that up.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2015, 12:56:51 PM
He seems to be having an awful lot of fun with his candidacy.  I'm not sure he'll be willing to give that up.

In fact, just looking at the stories on CNN.com today:

After call to ban Muslims, is the GOP ready to unite against Trump?

Trump warns: 'Many more World Trade Centers'
Paul Ryan: Trump comments not 'who we are as a party'
Donald Trump's 9/11 celebration claims, debunked
J.K. Rowling says Trump is worse than Voldemort

You cannot buy publicity like this.  ISIS doesn't have this many stories about them posted.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

I guess his mommy and daddy never taught him the difference between good attention and bad attention.  :(

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2015, 02:01:32 PM
I guess his mommy and daddy never taught him the difference between good attention and bad attention.  :(

;)

He and ISIS aren't so different after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2015, 02:03:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2015, 02:01:32 PM

;)

He and ISIS aren't so different after all.

They are mutual reinforcing evils.

Legbiter

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2015, 01:05:13 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2015, 12:56:51 PM
He seems to be having an awful lot of fun with his candidacy.  I'm not sure he'll be willing to give that up.

In fact, just looking at the stories on CNN.com today:

After call to ban Muslims, is the GOP ready to unite against Trump?

Trump warns: 'Many more World Trade Centers'
Paul Ryan: Trump comments not 'who we are as a party'
Donald Trump's 9/11 celebration claims, debunked
J.K. Rowling says Trump is worse than Voldemort

You cannot buy publicity like this.

Trump also managed to troll the White House into making cracks about his hair.  :showoff:

QuoteEarnest's condemnation of the Republican 2016 front-runner, which marked his sharpest criticism yet of the New York businessman, included a description of Trump comparing him to "a carnival barker" who engages in ""vacuous sloganeering" and sports "fake hair."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/12/08/white-house-says-trumps-anti-muslim-policy-disqualifies-him-from-serving-as-president/
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

Leads to another question: Could America survive a Trump presidency?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 08, 2015, 03:23:33 PM

Better yet.  Is an America that votes for a Trump presidency worth saving?

Savonarola

Après lui le déluge :frog:

;)

While I think electing Trump would be a colossal mistake; I do think the US would survive his presidency.

Admiral Yi

Has that electoral statistician said anything about Trump's chances?  Last election you couldn't get away from the guy; this year he seems AWOL.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2015, 04:49:48 PM
Has that electoral statistician said anything about Trump's chances?  Last election you couldn't get away from the guy; this year he seems AWOL.

Nate Silver is still quite bearish on Trump's chances.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-wont-win-just-because-more-voters-are-paying-attention/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And I still think his chances are pretty much negative.  He's "winning" by being at 27% in the polls, but largely because his opposition is still quite large and fractured.  Trump's negatives are still enormous.  It's hard to think he'll gain much support from the supporters of other candidates.  As others drop out I tend to think the Anyone-But-Trump support will coalesce around someone else.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2015, 03:59:42 PM

Better yet.  Is an America that votes for a Trump presidency worth saving?

:( :weep:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Brazen