Donald Trump Calls for Barring Muslims From Entering U.S.

Started by Syt, December 07, 2015, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on December 09, 2015, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2015, 01:18:14 PM
Hell, I dislike him a little less as a result.

Your opinions of idiots is way too influenced by other idiots.

I said a little.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2015, 10:59:40 AM
Trump told MSNBC that people would be asked about their religion at U.S. borders and that the ban would extend to Muslim leaders of other nations. He said he would not support internment camps.
so, he's a moderate, really?

More moderate than Franklin Roosevelt.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:13:48 PM
...My point of comparing the Canadian experience with the American experience is that we have never had the kind of demagogue Americans have had... 

Yes, Canada has, of course, had such demagogues.  Réal Caouette was one, for instance.

Demagogue means something different than you think it does then.

QuoteCaouette fought for bilingualism in the House of Commons, winning a symbolic victory when he got the Parliament's restaurant to produce bilingual menus.[1] In this, he anticipated the official bilingualism policy that would later be put into effect by Pierre Trudeau.

No, that's not what made him a demagogue!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

Quote from: frunk on December 09, 2015, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2015, 01:18:14 PM
Hell, I dislike him a little less as a result.

Your opinions of idiots is way too influenced by other idiots.
Well that is his schtick

Valmy

I have to admit it is refreshing to see a Presidential Candidate be Hitler. Usually they have to be elected first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2015, 01:46:52 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:13:48 PM
...My point of comparing the Canadian experience with the American experience is that we have never had the kind of demagogue Americans have had... 

Yes, Canada has, of course, had such demagogues.  Réal Caouette was one, for instance.

That's a pretty obscure figure.  I'm a real student of Canadian politics and I had to google his name (though once I did I am familiar, even slightly sympathetic, to his party the Creditistes).  Do you mind me asking where you heard his name?

There's a book about him, apparently, with that title.  Google the guy.  Argued for shooting Communist leaders, said his heroes included Hitler, etc.  Led a Canadian political party (minor, but once getting 7.5% of the national vote), served as a CMP for many years (Trump has never been elected to anything), etc.

Now, I never said that Canada has been plagued by demagogues, but  I think the evidence shows that the claim that they have never had any is false.  Caouette sounds much worse than Trump, in fact.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 04:28:40 PM
I have to admit it is refreshing to see a Presidential Candidate be Hitler. Usually they have to be elected first.

Dunno. Hitler was Hitler before he was elected.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

I think the worst case scenario is if someone assassinates Trump while he is leading in the polls, or even just attempts to.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2015, 04:44:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 04:28:40 PM

Dunno. Hitler was Hitler before he was elected.

I did say usually. Actually he is the exception as he was never even elected President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

But Trump said his ideas were no worse than those of then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who oversaw the internment of more than 110,000 people in U.S. government camps after Japanese forces bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

Trump may be technically right--probably barring people who aren't American citizens from entering the country isn't as bad as putting some of our own citizens in camps--but comparing your ideas to one of the worst examples of sheer bigotry and discrimination perpetrated by the Federal government doesn't make your ideas less contemptible.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on December 09, 2015, 04:49:44 PM

But Trump said his ideas were no worse than those of then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who oversaw the internment of more than 110,000 people in U.S. government camps after Japanese forces bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

Trump may be technically right--probably barring people who aren't American citizens from entering the country isn't as bad as putting some of our own citizens in camps--but comparing your ideas to one of the worst examples of sheer bigotry and discrimination perpetrated by the Federal government doesn't make your ideas less contemptible.

No kidding. What a utterly bizarre defense.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The Scottish fish lady has yanked Trump's honorary Scotsman title.

Is Trump of Scottish descent?  I figured based on the name he was a Dutchman.

Razgovory

People have often claimed a preference for someone who is not a "career politician".  This is what it looks like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I understand what you are saying, but he still isn't right.

In one case, the armed forces of Japan destroyed the Pacific fleet and were overrunning SE Asia and threatening Australia and Hawaii.

In this case, 2 nut jobs killed 14 people at a special needs hospital.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

German-Americans and Italian-Americans were not subject to internment, although presumably under Trump's logic they should have been.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson