News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2022, 12:52:29 PM
Well... if the phrase is meant to reflect the basic facts of employment that apply to all jobs, it seems a bit weird to make it the company value statement.

To me it comes across as an attempt to require the kind of dedication and esprit de corps you find in high morale military units. I can understand why it's desirable for a corporation if its people have that degree of commitment, but it seems a bit rich from the perspective as an employee. The context is a bit different, I'd think. Then again, I'll probably never work at Facebook, so what do I know?

Why is it odd?  I don't understand why a commitment to the very thing that all employees of the corporation are attempting to achieve should not be stressed.  Their whole Schtick now is "Meta".  It is not then all that surprising that those who are supposed to be working with you toward that goal are also part of the equation.

Now, of course, if you are not on board with that, fine.  But they probably don't want you either.   Isn't that the purpose of a value statement?

Zoupa

It's incredibly cringeworthy is all. It also sounds ridiculous to my non-protestant, non-Anglosaxon ears.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on February 16, 2022, 02:01:39 PM
It's incredibly cringeworthy is all. It also sounds ridiculous to my non-protestant, non-Anglosaxon ears.

Sure, I agree with that sentiment.  But then again, I think pretty much all value statements are cringeworthy.   

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2022, 01:25:44 PM
Why is it odd?  I don't understand why a commitment to the very thing that all employees of the corporation are attempting to achieve should not be stressed.  Their whole Schtick now is "Meta".  It is not then all that surprising that those who are supposed to be working with you toward that goal are also part of the equation.

Now, of course, if you are not on board with that, fine.  But they probably don't want you either.   Isn't that the purpose of a value statement?

I thought we were arguing whether the value statement meant "conform to the basic principles of employment" or "strive to conduct yourselves according to the selfless values of a high morale military unit"?

It's only odd in the first case.

If it's the second case, it's a fine - if IMO cringeworthy - corporate value statement. As you so accurately say, I don't want them and they probably don't want me and that's part of the purpose of that kind of statement.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2022, 02:36:15 PM

I thought we were arguing whether the value statement meant "conform to the basic principles of employment" or "strive to conduct yourselves according to the selfless values of a high morale military unit"?

If it's the second case, it's a fine - if IMO cringeworthy - corporate value statement. As you so accurately say, I don't want them and they probably don't want me and that's part of the purpose of that kind of statement.

Yeah, its not dissimilar to a lot of stuff I see coming out of corporate consultant's recommendations.  IMO its a huge waste of resources that could be better spent on stuff that actually improves employee morale, retention, productivity etc.  But it is all the rage these days. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2022, 04:11:52 PM

Yeah, its not dissimilar to a lot of stuff I see coming out of corporate consultant's recommendations.  IMO its a huge waste of resources that could be better spent on stuff that actually improves employee morale, retention, productivity etc.  But it is all the rage these days.

If you have to come up with such 'work makes you free' corporate BS, then it's indicative of some deeper problems within it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on February 16, 2022, 04:38:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2022, 04:11:52 PM

If you have to come up with such 'work makes you free' corporate BS, then it's indicative of some deeper problems within it.

Rather it is "being part of this team and giving it your all is very rewarding".    If you have ever played a team sport at a competitive level you will have encountered a very similar message.  it is also no coincidence that sports teams and the military use the same approach (sports historically being a socializing process to get young men ready for performing their duty to their country).  It can also be an effective means of getting peak performance in specific circumstances and that is why all the corporate guru's make a mint selling this stuff to corporate bosses, whether or not it translates well.

Josquius

I don't know if these two twitter posters are known people but :)
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

First one is a TV "doctor" (used to be a regular, reputed doctor, eventually turned into a snake oil salesman) made famous by Oprah Winfrey who is now entering politics as a Republican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_Oz

No idea about the other guy.

Habbaku

I used to work for a company in which the quack Doctor was a major investor. He's a fucking fruitcake.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

No wonder he's having such difficulties, he started the game with his king out of commission.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

I don't know... It looks like not all the residents were happy of the entertainment provided...

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.