Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I feel like their might be different incentives in the naval situation vs Meta.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Indeed the military is "slightly" different than a private company. In the Navy it's people's life at stake. At "Meta" it's the profit margin. Both important, but not exactly to the same degree.

Josquius

I do wonder about Facebook.
It used to be one of the big names people aspired to work for. Considering how it's reputation has plumetted is it still managing to attract top people?
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

They give generous stock options. Yes, they still attract rtop people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2022, 07:16:23 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 16, 2022, 04:56:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2022, 04:53:41 AM
"Meta, Metamates, Me"

New value statement for fbook employees with order of importance on how employees should place their own interests relative to company and colleagues.

I am starting to think Zuckerberg is cracking under the pressure of having taken over from Gates as Evil IT Guy in the eyes of the public. No I don't mean the "world destroyer evil rich guy" role which Gates holds (and fairly recently), but rather the old role he had around "Windows monopoly destroying freedom" nonsense from a while back.

That "Metamates" statement is just a restatement of the US Navy's "Ship, shipmates, self" philosophy.  It's not particularly evil.

Agreed, it would be odd for any organization to urge members to prioritize self-interest, unless they are Randians.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2022, 09:30:07 AM
"Meta, Metamates, Me"

New value statement for fbook employees with order of importance on how employees should place their own interests relative to company and colleagues.

I am starting to think Zuckerberg is cracking under the pressure of having taken over from Gates as Evil IT Guy in the eyes of the public. No I don't mean the "world destroyer evil rich guy" role which Gates holds (and fairly recently), but rather the old role he had around "Windows monopoly destroying freedom" nonsense from a while back.

That "Metamates" statement is just a restatement of the US Navy's "Ship, shipmates, self" philosophy.  It's not particularly evil.

Agreed, it would be odd for any organization to urge members to prioritize self-interest, unless they are Randians.

On the other hand would probably be a shitty manager who explicitly told a direct report: I need you put the company's interests ahead of your own.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2022, 10:16:51 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2022, 09:30:07 AM
"Meta, Metamates, Me"

On the other hand would probably be a shitty manager who explicitly told a direct report: I need you put the company's interests ahead of your own.

Not sure where you are going with that.  All employees owe a duty to their employer to act in the employer's interests - with limited exceptions (basically health and safety and the actions must be lawful).

The Brain

Leaving out the exceptions can easily give the impression that you don't think there are exceptions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2022, 11:33:51 AM
Leaving out the exceptions can easily give the impression that you don't think there are exceptions.

Perhaps, but giving the impression that employees are entitled to consider their own interests ahead of the organization that is paying them to do otherwise is a bit odd.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2022, 11:31:04 AM
Not sure where you are going with that.  All employees owe a duty to their employer to act in the employer's interests - with limited exceptions (basically health and safety and the actions must be lawful).

I'm not going anywhere with it. I think it is implicit that you have to work with your employer's interests in mind but it is a very different thing to be told that you need to put your employer's interests above your own interests. I see little to no value in have a value statement that explicitly states that to employees.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2022, 11:57:07 AM

I'm not going anywhere with it. I think it is implicit that you have to work with your employer's interests in mind but it is a very different thing to be told that you need to put your employer's interests above your own interests. I see little to no value in have a value statement that explicitly states that to employees.

Who is telling their employees to put the employer's interests above their own interests?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2022, 11:57:07 AM

There is an important distinction between what a person does while employed (let's call that on the clock) and what they do in their own time (off the clock).  On the clock an employee has a duty to their employee to perform the duties they have contracted to do.  That will almost always mean subordinating their own interests to that of the duties they must perform on behalf of the employer.  No organization could function effectively otherwise.  Imagine a world in which a person could say, "you know, I just don't feel like doing that today.  Find someone else to do it would you."

Off the clock you can think about whether that is best for you all you want.  And you can take steps to find better employment, retire or do whatever you want.  But on the clock, you have agreed to do what you being paid to do.

Jacob

Well... if the phrase is meant to reflect the basic facts of employment that apply to all jobs, it seems a bit weird to make it the company value statement.

To me it comes across as an attempt to require the kind of dedication and esprit de corps you find in high morale military units. I can understand why it's desirable for a corporation if its people have that degree of commitment, but it seems a bit rich from the perspective as an employee. The context is a bit different, I'd think. Then again, I'll probably never work at Facebook, so what do I know?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2022, 12:52:29 PM
Well... if the phrase is meant to reflect the basic facts of employment that apply to all jobs, it seems a bit weird to make it the company value statement.

To me it comes across as an attempt to require the kind of dedication and esprit de corps you find in high morale military units. I can understand why it's desirable for a corporation if its people have that degree of commitment, but it seems a bit rich from the perspective as an employee. The context is a bit different, I'd think. Then again, I'll probably never work at Facebook, so what do I know?

Well put, Jacob.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"