Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2022, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2022, 08:35:03 PM
Fair enough. Lots of famous bits of Roman infrastructure have been repeatedly restored over the centuries. Though others have been looted for building materials. Still, many have had remarkable longevity.

One other reason Roman stuff often lasted so long is that the Romans used a very durable type of concrete, made with volcanic ash, that resists cracking and spreading - used for example in the dome of the Pantheon.

Was that only used for special projects? Or is volcanic ash a readily available item?

It was very available.  The Romans had cities literally drowning in volcanic ash.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2022, 10:55:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2022, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2022, 08:35:03 PM
Fair enough. Lots of famous bits of Roman infrastructure have been repeatedly restored over the centuries. Though others have been looted for building materials. Still, many have had remarkable longevity.

One other reason Roman stuff often lasted so long is that the Romans used a very durable type of concrete, made with volcanic ash, that resists cracking and spreading - used for example in the dome of the Pantheon.

Was that only used for special projects? Or is volcanic ash a readily available item?

It was very available.  The Romans had cities literally drowning in volcanic ash.
:pinch: Too soon.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on February 06, 2022, 01:57:10 PM
What would a more rational level of engineering for a Roman road look like?

To elaborate: the Romans needed all-weather roads that weren't damaged by the passage of a multi-legion army. For that you need a solid foundation, good drainage, and, given the technology of the time, a paved stone surface. The roads served a number of not unimportant secondary functions as well (civilian traffic, Roman prestige...), which the requirements of the primary function made them pretty good at. My impression is that Roman roads weren't over-engineered.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 05, 2022, 08:42:27 AM
Did Roman chariots travel at 60+ mph and weigh multiple tons?
they had no winters where the road lasted.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

QuoteOn November 7, 1983, the Senate adjourned at 7:02 p.m. A crowded reception, held near the Senate Chamber, broke up two hours later. At 10:58 p.m., an explosion tore through the second floor of the Capitol's north wing; the adjacent halls were virtually deserted.[2]

Minutes before the blast, a caller claiming to represent the "Armed Resistance Unit" warned the Capitol switchboard that a bomb had been placed near the Chamber in retaliation for recent U.S. military involvement in Grenada[2] and Lebanon, in which the U.S. had placed Marines.[3] The "Armed Resistance Unit" also plotted to murder Henry Kissinger.[4]

The force of the device, hidden under a bench at the eastern end of the corridor outside the Chamber, blew off the door to the office of Democratic Leader Robert C. Byrd. Senator Byrd was an active supporter of involvement in Grenada, and had recently made attempts to garner support for retaliating against recent attacks against U.S. Marines stationed in Lebanon. His recent actions may have drawn attention from the terrorist group, and led to his targeting. Furthermore, the blast also punched a hole in a wall partition, sending a shower of pulverized brick, plaster, and glass into the Republican cloakroom. The explosion caused no structural damage to the Capitol. The force shattered mirrors, chandeliers, and furniture. Officials calculated damages of $250,000 (equivalent to $650,000 in 2020).[2]

A portrait of Daniel Webster which was located near the concealed bomb, received most of the force of the blast. The image of Webster's face was damaged, and canvas shards of it were strewn across the floor. Members of the Senate recovered fragments of the painting from debris-filled trash bins. A conservator worked for months to restore the painting to a semblance of the original.

The commutation of the sentence by Clinton seems to be accurate at least. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

40-60 year sentences for everyone involved in the January 6 attack seems reasonable to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

US history fail, there have been a bunch of domestic terrorism attacks against the Capitol before the 1983 one. Or do Puerto Rican nationalists not count as domestic?

Incidentally, it also admits that Capitol attackers from January the 6th were terrorists.  :P

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2022, 03:04:15 PM
Or do Puerto Rican nationalists not count as domestic?
I don't think Republicans view them as Americans.  Not fully American, at least. So, no, doesn't count.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 08:53:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2022, 03:04:15 PM
Or do Puerto Rican nationalists not count as domestic?
I don't think Republicans view them as Americans.  Not fully American, at least. So, no, doesn't count.

Well, in that case the same people responsible for the 1983 attack (Weather Underground) had already attacked the Capitol in 1971, so those should count. And there had been a previous bombing in 1915 as well.

Syt

So there were those attacks. Any of them involve the capitol being stormed by the riled up supporters of a candidate that refused to acknowledge the results of the election?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2022, 04:15:03 AM
So there were those attacks. Any of them involve the capitol being stormed by the riled up supporters of a candidate that refused to acknowledge the results of the election?

I already said that the meme implicitly accepted that the Capitol stormers were domestic terrorists.  ;)

Syt

I know. ;) I was pointing out that previous attacks seem to have been from extremist loonies without direct support from a major political party. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 08, 2022, 04:20:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2022, 04:15:03 AM

I already said that the meme implicitly accepted that the Capitol stormers were domestic terrorists.  ;)

The Jan 6th insurrectionists were more than just domestic terrorists, though.  They were domestic terrorists whose intent was specifically to attack the constitution that the republican lawmakers had all taken a solemn oath to preserve, protect, and defend.

My Republican friend (and fellow navy vet) was pissed off that I pointed out how she could no longer vote Republican because that would violate her oath, but she really didn't have a lot to push back with.  This republican decision has really demoralized her.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!