Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 16, 2021, 12:48:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2021, 12:20:28 PM
That is wild. Why would any nurse have that opinion?

There are legitimate concerns about over-use of medical interventions because of economic incentives to generate billings or the practice of defensive medicine to avoid potential liability.
But I don't know what the intent was of the blurb.

For sure but again I don't really get the nurse thinking we should let nature take its course
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

If you're a nurse who's been caring for anti-vaxxers non-stop for a while, I can understand why you might secretly harbor thoughts that maybe you should let nature take its course.  I would hope that they wouldn't act on those thoughts, however, or express them out loud.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 16, 2021, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 12:46:36 PM
I can tell you that back in the day, we definitely went out to play after school, in the same clothes we wore to school, and rarely, if ever, did homework.

There must have been some other hellish time when kids only did homework after school.

I believe that was written by someone from the von Trapp family, pre Julie Andrews.

:lol:

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2021, 12:54:50 PM
If you're a nurse who's been caring for anti-vaxxers non-stop for a while, I can understand why you might secretly harbor thoughts that maybe you should let nature take its course.  I would hope that they wouldn't act on those thoughts, however, or express them out loud.

She's working at a care facility for elderly alzheimer and dementia patients. She's been there for a couple of months now, which seems longer than many of her previous nursing engagements.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2021, 01:08:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2021, 12:54:50 PM

She's working at a care facility for elderly alzheimer and dementia patients. She's been there for a couple of months now, which seems longer than many of her previous nursing engagements.
:unsure: On the one hand, it's unsettling.  On the other hand, I think that such facilities in the US are already pretty good at facilitating the nature taking its course on a systemic level, so I'm not sure individual nurses can make much of a difference.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to kind of believe the idea that society had degenerated since hey I wasn't there in the 30s, 40s, and 50s...but current old farts trying to convinve me how hard working and noble everybody was in the 70s and 80s makes me laugh. Um I was there...no we weren't. We were no less degenerates then as we are now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2021, 03:46:48 PM
We were no less degenerates then as we are now.

We were a lot more degenerate

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 03:48:05 PM

The young people I know these days are generally shockingly well behaved  :)

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 17, 2021, 02:21:33 AM

Yes. It's disgusting

Tamas

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 17, 2021, 02:21:33 AM

I think it has a lot to do with economic insecurity.  Young people have to be a lot more conformist now - there is intense pressure on them to build a performance portfolio to get into good schools-get good jobs etc.  And then still live with their parents because housing prices are insane and out of reach. 

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould