And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on November 30, 2021, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2021, 03:42:09 PM
Yes the same people who get their panties in a wad if a fantasy village features more than one race.

You are not referencing me, are you?
That seemed to have been aimed at the gamer/movie types who scream when a character is a person of color.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on November 30, 2021, 05:52:20 PM
That seemed to have been aimed at the gamer/movie types who scream when a character is a person of color.

Or, more accurately, when the actor playing the role is a person of color.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Can we just leave politics out of this and maintain the status quo?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2021, 08:49:37 AM

I would say that is the crux of the problem - people can't get beyond the actor to the performance, they get stuck on the color.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on December 01, 2021, 11:23:59 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2021, 08:49:37 AM

I would say that is the crux of the problem - people can't get beyond the actor to the performance, they get stuck on the color.

I think we might be giving racists too much credit here.

There is valid criticism of "I just don't think he looks right for the part", such as for instance the (way it presented on the surface) upset over black Anne Boleyn or weird non racially linked casting of fictional characters.
But then a lot of the criticism, often claiming to be the first type, is purely from a "I don't want black people" pov.
Looking beyond how the person looks to the performance is very possible with the first. Actors who seem miscast can win over people who genuinely give a shit about the show.
With the second though... No. Its all about how they look.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yes the same people who get their panties in a wad if a fantasy village features more than one race.

That's it. My patience and tolerance for you is gone. All your oppression is now your fault.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2021, 03:52:58 PM

That's it. My patience and tolerance for you is gone. All your oppression is now your fault.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2021, 03:52:58 PM

He still hasn't apologized for his microaggression of calling me white :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

I've never seen the historical Anne Boleyn herself so don't know why I would be traumatized by seeing her being portrayed by a non-WASP actor.  Perhaps a black Huck Finn (unless Jim was played by a white actor) might startle me for a bit, but if the actor can carry the role I soon forget who is the actor and just pay attention to the character.  Female Starbuck and Female Dr. Keynes didn't faze me for a second. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2021, 10:36:41 AM

The right actually does care quite a bit about people being gay - conversion therapy wasn't funded by right wing evangelicals for nothing.

It is laughable that the right wishes to be all liberal democratic except for the fact that they were provoked somehow.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2021, 04:54:53 PM

The right actually does care quite a bit about people being gay - conversion therapy wasn't funded by right wing evangelicals for nothing.

It is laughable that the right wishes to be all liberal democratic except for the fact that they were provoked somehow.

ranting about gays when using the phrase "shoving it down my throat" might not be the wisest choice of words. It looks more like people making fun of American right-wingers while sowing dissent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2021, 04:54:53 PM

"The right" is not some monolithic entity. Maybe he really doesn't care.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Possible. But somehow unlikely given this post.
██████
██████
██████