News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

My father was going to be named Balthazar. Which means i would have been named Balthazar. So while my name is weird, it could have been worse since i grew up in the pokemon era.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

A friend of mine is called Gaspar. His surname is Rey. Yes, it's hillarious.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2021, 02:52:56 PM
My father was going to be named Balthazar. Which means i would have been named Balthazar. So while my name is weird, it could have been worse since i grew up in the pokemon era.

I went to high school with a kid named Balthazar - he was Filipino.  Didn't seem that strange.  But I guess this was pre-pokemon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2021, 12:45:09 PM
The Bible calls them "Magi" (well it calls them something in Greek typically translated as Magi).  It comes from Zoroastrian priests.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in that era there were no female zoroastrian priests.

And that ignores a sizeable amount of Christian tradition about their identities.

It's only in Matthew though there are lots of extra-Biblical traditions.  Matthrew just says "magon" from the "East".  It isn't in the other gospels.
The Greek word "magos" is actually borrowed from the Persian.

As to whether there were any female Zoroastrian priests - they do exist now (in Iran of all places).  I'm not aware of affirmative evidence of female priests in that era, but the head of the Tehran council of Zoroastrian clergy claimed to have access to archival research indicating that there were: https://www.middleeasteye.net/features/zoroastrian-priestesses-iran.  One may view such claims with skepticism but it's not clear how one would prove the matter with certainty. 

There is tangible evidence of significant roles by women in early Christianity, including what appears to be in some official liturgical capacity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The other interesting thing about the FB post is that nothing in it has anything to do with Christianity other than the reference to Jesus being a boy (is that really in dispute?).
This get back to the other thread about traditional celebrations and the thin veneer of Christianization.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

The bible does not name "three" wise men.  It give no number.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2021, 04:37:48 PM

I thought it gave three names.  Or is that a later invention?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2021, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2021, 04:37:48 PM

I thought it gave three names.  Or is that a later invention?

Later invention.  Names differ from tradition to tradition.  They are still cool names, just not biblical.  Mascot of my High School was named after one of them (probably not intended),  Jasper. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The magi are there as a lead in to a story about Herod which echoes the story of Pharaoh and Moses from the Exodus; it is even followed by a story where Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus go to Egypt.  This all appears all to be a literary invention by the author of Matthew, who implies, contra Luke and Mark, that Jesus and his family had no connection to the Galilee until after Jesus was born.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2021, 05:20:17 PM
The magi are there as a lead in to a story about Herod which echoes the story of Pharaoh and Moses from the Exodus; it is even followed by a story where Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus go to Egypt.  This all appears all to be a literary invention by the author of Matthew, who implies, contra Luke and Mark, that Jesus and his family had no connection to the Galilee until after Jesus was born.

I seem to remember than the Gospel of Matthew's big thing was to tie Jesus into the various prophecies of the Messiah, to show how he fulfilled them.

I'm going to politely ignore the "literary invention" part of your response.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2021, 05:27:55 PM

Don't think of it as anti Gospel, think of it as pro-Mark
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2021, 09:06:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2021, 05:27:55 PM

Don't think of it as anti Gospel, think of it as pro-Mark

In the Jesus Comics Universe, all the Gospels could be true at the same time, just in different dimensions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

That might be true of twitter, but certainly not of Teh Corporate Press.