News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 10:11:50 AM
Considering this was posted by my oldest sister who is firmly on the poverty side of things ... it's a bit ironic.

The crab-bucket leanings of the loudest, angriest poor folks is astonishing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2021, 10:58:29 AM
Considering this was posted by my oldest sister who is firmly on the poverty side of things ... it's a bit ironic.

The first line is more concerning.  The fact that it was written and distributed suggests there is a significant level of acceptance of that proposition.

Isn't that a democracy vs. republic thing (which in American politics keeps confusing me, because the way I learned it over here, republic denotes a non-monarchic government, regardless of whether it is authoritarian or democratic :D ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 11:14:04 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2021, 10:58:29 AM

The first line is more concerning.  The fact that it was written and distributed suggests there is a significant level of acceptance of that proposition.

Isn't that a democracy vs. republic thing (which in American politics keeps confusing me, because the way I learned it over here, republic denotes a non-monarchic government, regardless of whether it is authoritarian or democratic :D ).

Poland frowns on your shenanigans.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 11:14:04 AM

I don't think most of the people distributing or reading this material intend to have a nuanced, academic discussion of Federalist 10, nor do they understand nor care about the true nature of the distinction that Madison was making, nor the fact that a key premise of the argument proved wrong within the first decade of the US, leading to major political and constitutional changes.

It's sort of Exhibit A in why just a little bit of historical learning is a dangerous thing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2021, 10:55:47 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2021, 07:31:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2021, 07:14:58 AM
Can you fight TOWNHALL?

TOWNHALL is the miniboss you have to defeat in order to fight CITYHALL.

Stop trying to trick us. Everyone knows you can't fight CITYHALL.

But you can fight THELAW.

The Brain

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2021, 10:33:03 AM
Life isn't easy, so we should try to ease each other's burdens.

Sounds a lot like communism.
Hates America, you just know it.
PDH!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

What a horrible curse. Forever unable to choose wisely themselves, they are still able to advise others to do so.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2021, 08:43:07 AM

I'm so glad I'm out of the bar/restaurant industry. I left right before COVID hit and I absolutely would hate the the awfulness that has been going on since. From what I've heard from friends and former co-workers as well as read on a more national level, the people who went out when restaurants and bars reopened were and to some degree still are for the most part some of the absolute worst patrons. Lots of complaints about new policies out of staff control, incredibly rude, and terrible tippers.  <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2021, 08:43:07 AM

The people they would be banning don't give a shit whether you live or die and demand that the government interfere in the running of your business.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

My middle sister is not in favor of Covid vaccination.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi