And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2021, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2021, 12:34:33 PM
Glad your sisters came around and now oppose voter ID laws.

I am frankly surprised they are so in favor of immigration and want open borders.

You may be misinterpreting the meme. You are assuming they intend to convey it is the beginning of something negative, but that may be an unwarranted assumption.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 06, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2021, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2021, 12:34:33 PM
Glad your sisters came around and now oppose voter ID laws.

I am frankly surprised they are so in favor of immigration and want open borders.

You may be misinterpreting the meme. You are assuming they intend to convey it is the beginning of something negative, but that may be an unwarranted assumption.

This is just the beginning! Of something awesome! :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I accepted fifteen years of Facebook friend requests last month, having not logged in for quite some time. 

Browsing around, I have to say that I'm struggling to see what the appeal is.  I mean, it's nice to be able to stay in touch with people through things like Messenger, but most of the content that they suggest for me are comics about elderly people struggling with the modern world, or pictures of pets.  Does the algorithm think I'm an elderly man or something? 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2021, 12:00:26 PM
Is that the US?
Close, that's Russia.  Surprisingly they actually did have a strictly enforced lockdown regime for a while.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2021, 01:13:44 PM
Is that the US?
Close, that's Russia.  Surprisingly they actually did have a strictly enforced lockdown regime for a while.

So they are warning us of authoritarianism in Russia eh? This warning comes 500 years too late.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2021, 01:10:02 PM
I accepted fifteen years of Facebook friend requests last month, having not logged in for quite some time. 

Browsing around, I have to say that I'm struggling to see what the appeal is.  I mean, it's nice to be able to stay in touch with people through things like Messenger, but most of the content that they suggest for me are comics about elderly people struggling with the modern world, or pictures of pets.  Does the algorithm think I'm an elderly man or something?

Who the fuck are you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

The appeal of Facebook is to catch up on news from more distant family and friends who you still want to keep up with, but are unlikely to actually pick up the phone and call on a regular basis.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2021, 01:41:09 PM

The appeal of Facebook is to catch up on news from more distant family and friends who you still want to keep up with, but are unlikely to actually pick up the phone and call on a regular basis.
Yeah, that had been a task that I had traditionally let others handle.  Obviously I'm making adjustments now, and I don't know how I'm going to keep all this stuff straight.  I don't really have a mind for those little personal details.  Or maybe I do, but I've always used it for other things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2021, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2021, 01:41:09 PM

Yeah, that had been a task that I had traditionally let others handle.  Obviously I'm making adjustments now, and I don't know how I'm going to keep all this stuff straight.  I don't really have a mind for those little personal details.  Or maybe I do, but I've always used it for other things.

Yeah, your current news is the kind of thing that Facebook can be useful for.  Obviously there's people you'd tell in person, but a simple post on Facebook can save you from making dozens if not hundreds of phone calls / letters.

Plus the pet pictures.  I've realized I'm a sucker for pet pictures.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2021, 01:52:15 PM
Yeah, your current news is the kind of thing that Facebook can be useful for.  Obviously there's people you'd tell in person, but a simple post on Facebook can save you from making dozens if not hundreds of phone calls / letters.

Plus the pet pictures.  I've realized I'm a sucker for pet pictures.
I found that I mostly delegated that, as I wasn't really up to communicating.  Same with funeral planning.  I was making high level decisions and paying bills, but most of the work and communication was carried out by my sister-in-laws and my sister. 

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2021, 01:10:02 PMDoes the algorithm think I'm an elderly man or something?
more like a living dead, in your case? :P

welcome back!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2021, 01:13:44 PM
Is that the US?

That's what I thought.  Unshanka's aren't common headgear for US police.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Rogers

QuoteThis quote appears frequently[13][14][15] on the Internet and is often attributed to Rogers with an incorrect date of 1931. In fact, the quotation is part of a longer sermon by Rogers from 1984 in a larger series titled God's Way to Health, Wealth and Wisdom (CDA107),[16] but it also appears as a passage in Rogers' 1996 work Ten Secrets for a Successful Family stating that "by and large our young people do not know either the importance or the value of honest labor".[17]

Rogers did not originate the quote at all. In fact, he did not claim to have originated it. Instead, he was citing almost verbatim anti-Soviet propaganda that had circulated in many magazines in the early 1960s.[18] The quote appeared before that in the Congressional Record of 1958, where it was appended to the record by U.S. Senator George Aiken of Vermont. Aiken had taken the words from Senator James Eastland of Mississippi, who had said them in his address at the Illinois Agricultural Association's annual meeting on November 13, 1957.[19] They have also been attributed to Gerald L. K. Smith, who had written them in his magazine, The Cross and the Flag.[20] Since the quote was attributed to Rogers in 2009, it has been regularly attributed to him; however, Rogers was essentially quoting Eastland or Smith at the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017