Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I complied, read it twice as instructed, and it ended.

Did I miss something?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Now read it twice while standing on one leg and rubbing your stomach.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2021, 04:02:43 PM
Now read it twice while standing on one leg and rubbing your stomach.

You forgot patting his head.  It's the simultaneous patting and rubbing that is hard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 31, 2021, 10:37:30 AM
Well, Chomsky isn't arguing for a particular ideology, but rather for radicalism, or "shifting the Overton window" in current Languishian.  :P

Not so - his argument (in the text that quotation is lifted from) is that large corporations control and channel discourse for their own purpose.  He is not saying that discourse is being limited to a "centrist" viewpoint to eliminate both right and left alternatives equally; he is saying that is it limited to a corporatist viewpoint to exclude opinions about alternatives to capitalist organization and production.  He isn't saying that the problem with political discourse of American is insufficient opportunities to discuss the merits of fascism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Well, sure, in the larger context, he has an ideology. The quote itself doesn't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

How prescient to note the creation of fear by the Republicans ("they stole the election!") and the corresponding meaningless ritual of tuning in to watch Tucker Carlson.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I feel entitled to free weird BS from Facebook feeds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Not on FB, but rather, on Twitter, about Facebook, from @Laura Edelson:

This evening, Facebook suspended my Facebook account and the accounts of several people associated with Cybersecurity for Democracy, our team at NYU. This has the effect of cutting off our access to Facebook's Ad Library data, as well as Crowdtangle.

Over the last several years, we've used this access to uncover systemic flaws in the Facebook Ad Library, identify misinformation in political ads including many sowing distrust in our election system, and to study Facebook's apparent amplification of partisan misinformation.

By suspending our accounts, Facebook has effectively ended all this work. Facebook has also effectively cut off access to more than two dozen other researchers and journalists who get access to Facebook data through our project, 3/4

including our work measuring vaccine misinformation with the Virality Project and many other partners who rely on our data.

The work our team does to make data about disinformation on Facebook transparent is vital to a healthy internet and a healthy democracy. 4/4

This is NYU's Cybersecurity for Democracy project: https://cybersecurityfordemocracy.org/
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

You are entitled to life - as narrowly defined as possible.  So don't even think about access to the health care necessary to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 04, 2021, 02:15:49 PM
Not on FB, but rather, on Twitter, about Facebook, from @Laura Edelson:

This evening, Facebook suspended my Facebook account and the accounts of several people associated with Cybersecurity for Democracy, our team at NYU. This has the effect of cutting off our access to Facebook's Ad Library data, as well as Crowdtangle.

Over the last several years, we've used this access to uncover systemic flaws in the Facebook Ad Library, identify misinformation in political ads including many sowing distrust in our election system, and to study Facebook's apparent amplification of partisan misinformation.

By suspending our accounts, Facebook has effectively ended all this work. Facebook has also effectively cut off access to more than two dozen other researchers and journalists who get access to Facebook data through our project, 3/4

including our work measuring vaccine misinformation with the Virality Project and many other partners who rely on our data.

The work our team does to make data about disinformation on Facebook transparent is vital to a healthy internet and a healthy democracy. 4/4

This is NYU's Cybersecurity for Democracy project: https://cybersecurityfordemocracy.org/

LOL wacky stuff indeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

If we give it some time, I am sure someone will be along to explain how that actually makes perfectly good sense.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."