Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 25, 2021, 11:03:14 AM
I've never understood how their "God" works.  If there is a community of 51 sinners and 49 saints, the saints starve to death in the famine just like the sinners.  Might as well sin.

OTOH, if there is a community of 51 saints and 49 sinners, the sinners get just as much rain as the saints and so prosper like the saints do.  Might as well sin, if you can count the number of saints and ensure they number at least 50% +1.

Maybe their god should reconsider using WMD as his law enforcement method.

That is way, way, way off.  I thought everyone knew how this works, I mean their God comes with written instructions!  "This is note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2021, 01:20:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 25, 2021, 11:03:14 AM
I've never understood how their "God" works.  If there is a community of 51 sinners and 49 saints, the saints starve to death in the famine just like the sinners.  Might as well sin.

OTOH, if there is a community of 51 saints and 49 sinners, the sinners get just as much rain as the saints and so prosper like the saints do.  Might as well sin, if you can count the number of saints and ensure they number at least 50% +1.

Maybe their god should reconsider using WMD as his law enforcement method.

That is way, way, way off.  I thought everyone knew how this works, I mean their God comes with written instructions!  "This is note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

Right, that must be why there has never been a disagreement over what the instruction manual means  :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I'm shocked that kooks don't know history.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

The Civil war wasn't about slavery... except when it  was. Ah, republicans (or I guess southern white people, which is pretty much the same thing :P )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on July 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM
Are the more religious bits of the US the ones that tend to be hit by yearly tornados, hurricanes, etc....?

They always seem to miss the small print on that contract - the God of the Old Testament provides those services selectively to a particular group - who may not have always benefited from the attention.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2021, 02:28:06 PM

Okay, this one is extremely disingenuous.  620,000 is the total number of deaths in the US civil war.  This number includes both blacks soldiers and civilians as well as confederate deaths.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Well since today's Republicans are yesterday's Rebs it is hard for them to distinguish those fine details.

grumbler

Why are they showing a Confederate soldier as an illustration of how "they" died in the Civil War "in order to obtain freedom for the black slaves."  I mean, i know that the Lost Cause is a Big Lie, but do they expect ANYONE (other than fellow Republicans) to believe that Confederate soldiers were fighting against slavery?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

And 180,000 is the number of Blacks who served in the Union Army, not the number that died.

Modern scholarship (c. 2015) places the estimated total death toll from the war at 750,000, a modest increase from earlier estimates.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

"Ackshully, the civil war was fought because of tariffs. The North didn't care about slavery. Also, did you know that many blacks served in the Confederate army??? Makes you think."
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2021, 06:45:19 PM
"Ackshully, the civil war was fought because of tariffs. The North didn't care about slavery. Also, did you know that many blacks served in the Confederate army??? Makes you think."

Indeed.  The fact that every succession proclamation* cited slavery/abolition of slavery as the reason for succession means nothing to the modern Reb, because the modern Reb only cares about the fantasy history of the war.  I mean, we know a lot more today about what the Southerners of 1861 thought than they did.

* not all states issued one

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Actually, Vermont and, I think, R.I. look pretty damn blue on this map. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

THERE ARE NO BLUE CITIES OR STATES, ONLY A BLUE COUNTRY.

Ha ha ha.  Suck on that Cletis.