News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2021, 02:35:24 PM
I think All Lives Matter started out as a good faith effort at solidarity and was immediately blacklisted, and then became a marker of bad faith.

Uhm, no. The very first time I remember seeing it it was to highlight that BLM was a black-above-others movement/slogan which of course was BS.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2021, 02:49:27 PM
Uhm, no. The very first time I remember seeing it it was to highlight that BLM was a black-above-others movement/slogan which of course was BS.

The first time I saw it was in a different context.

grumbler

I think All Lives Matter started out as a good faith effort at solidarity and was immediately blacklisted, and then became a marker of bad faith.

Do you have any evidence that supports this belief?  I've never seen All Lives Matter used except as a rebuttal to Black Lives Matter.  ALM is a mere truism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2021, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 23, 2021, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2021, 12:26:51 PM
They seem awfully obsessed with not feeling bad about slavery.

Didn't they just immigrate from Germany? Maybe white people in Germany have committed their own racial crimes, not an expert in German history and will have to check the tapes on that one, but they probably don't have much reason to feel the collective guilt of american slavery is on them.

Yeah I don't get that either. One would think Euro Immigrants could feel smug about that part...I mean ones from central and eastern Europe anyway.
Why should we be smug about it? Germany had large scale slavery as recently as 1945, probably worse than US slavery ever was. Not many black slaves in Germany though I guess, almost all were white.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2021, 02:56:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2021, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 23, 2021, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2021, 12:26:51 PM
They seem awfully obsessed with not feeling bad about slavery.

Didn't they just immigrate from Germany? Maybe white people in Germany have committed their own racial crimes, not an expert in German history and will have to check the tapes on that one, but they probably don't have much reason to feel the collective guilt of american slavery is on them.

Yeah I don't get that either. One would think Euro Immigrants could feel smug about that part...I mean ones from central and eastern Europe anyway.
Why should we be smug about it? Germany had large scale slavery as recently as 1945, probably worse than US slavery ever was. Not many black slaves in Germany though I guess, almost all were white.

Many of these German-American's ancestors came to the US in 1946-47, so that's after 1945.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2021, 02:56:35 PM

Exactly. If anybody knows white people were once enslaved it would be Germans. Plus you, at least more recent immigrants anyway, had nothing to do with slavery in the Americas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I do wonder to what extent this "black people had slaves too!!!" is born out of these nutters genuinely not understanding that other people fundamentally have a diffetent world view. They see every single thing as a competition and that by winning the atrocity Olympics black people can score points over them.

Aaaand to what extent they're just being purposefully obtuse and pretending not to get it to troll.

All lives matter is just a less racist sounding pivot from white lives matter.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

All lives matter started out in good faith?  Any support for that assertion?

Syt

Well, I guess that's climate change and Covid taken care of. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Does that really work?  It would be amazing if it did.

Josquius

Are the more religious bits of the US the ones that tend to be hit by yearly tornados, hurricanes, etc....?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on July 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM
Are the more religious bits of the US the ones that tend to be hit by yearly tornados, hurricanes, etc....?

Yes, legally God can only send newsletters to his subscribers.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2021, 07:44:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM

Yes, legally God can only send newsletters to his subscribers.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I've never understood how their "God" works.  If there is a community of 51 sinners and 49 saints, the saints starve to death in the famine just like the sinners.  Might as well sin.

OTOH, if there is a community of 51 saints and 49 sinners, the sinners get just as much rain as the saints and so prosper like the saints do.  Might as well sin, if you can count the number of saints and ensure they number at least 50% +1.

Maybe their god should reconsider using WMD as his law enforcement method.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

OT's God is a genocidal bastard with huge self-confidence issues.